HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 by simply moving SCSI disks

Nick Bauer
Occasional Contributor

Migrate ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 by simply moving SCSI disks

Hi-

What are my concerns migrating from ML370 G3 to G4? I have 6 SCSI disks configured in 2 raid 0 vols configured on the G3. I want to move these disks to the G4. Will i just be able move the disks into the new chasis and go? What are the risks? Do i risk data loss?
2 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrate ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 by simply moving SCSI disks

What RAID controller do the servers have?
Between SmartArrays, if they are from the same generation, you can move disks. All RAID configuration and information is on the disks and will be recognized by the new controller.
Or you can move the controller also to the ML370 G4.
Nick Bauer
Occasional Contributor

Re: Migrate ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 by simply moving SCSI disks

How do i determine the controller? Device manager says Smart Array 532 Controller. I dont know the G4, but i can probably check. YOu are saying if they match, then i should be ok? What about windows and drivers for other items? I am guessing they should be similar enough that it wont crash? I just dont want to risk having to rebuild everything. I guess a good insurance policy would be to perform a full backup to a tape drive... thanks for the tip, and any further info you can provide.