cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate RAID 1 to RAID 5 DL380 G3

Aaron L Love
Occasional Visitor

Migrate RAID 1 to RAID 5 DL380 G3

We have a DL380 G3 with 3 arrays and a 5i smart array controller. The third array has 2x146GB drives in RAID 1+0, but we just added 2 more identical drives to the array, which now show up as 280GB of unused space in the ACU. When I select the existing logical drive (the mirrored 146GB drives), I have the option to Migrate RAID/Stripe Size. Upon clicking that option, I now have the option to change it to RAID 5, which is precisely what we want to do.

My question is this: once I click OK to migrate to RAID 5 from RAID 1, is the data on the existing logical drive retained? Also, how do I then add the 2 additional drives to the newly created RAID 5 logical drive?

Thanks,

Aaron
1 REPLY
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrate RAID 1 to RAID 5 DL380 G3

>>once I click OK to migrate to RAID 5 from RAID 1, is the data on the existing logical drive retained?

Yes

>>how do I then add the 2 additional drives
to the newly created RAID 5 logical drive?

You wrote "we just added 2 more identical drives to the array, which now show up as 280GB of unused space in the ACU". So, you already added these drives to your array.
Furtermore - if you have option "migrate to RAID-5" - it say array already have at least 3 drives (4 in your case)