cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate/add w2k server to existing ProLiant DL3800

Steve Loumakis
Occasional Visitor

Migrate/add w2k server to existing ProLiant DL3800

I support a client who bought all the equipment from a bankrupt company. Among the items were the mentioned DL3800 - 933, RAID 5, W2K3Server, etc. The RAID and Backup (not to mention the rest of the system) is much better for their needs, however, it was already set up as an Domain COntroller, Exchange server, SQL Server etc. All of these functions aren't needed and basically their needs come down to basic file serving.

Since this is a small (very) company, they want to go the easiest route to achieve the raid performance and bu capacity.

Any suggestions? Trying not to change Domain COntrollers and don't want to totally reconfigure the w2k3 server...

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Re: Migrate/add w2k server to existing ProLiant DL3800

Steve, why not wipe and load the new box? You "can" dcpromo down the box, assuming you have a domain admin id/pwd. Then you could unistall exchange/sql on it, but why? AFter you go through all of that you could have just reinstalled a clean copy of Win2k3 and be done with it.

Steve Loumakis
Occasional Visitor

I guess that was my question was to set up a whole new Domain Controller (wipe n reload) or was their an easier, quicker way to get it done...you think it's 50-50 timewise, huh? I've set up w2k servers but not w2k3 so I was weighting that in too...

Thanks.

Steve
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

You can do a clean OS build in about 3 hours + patching.

Even if it were faster to use the old DC I would not. Assuming that nothing is joined to this domain, which it sounds like it is not. From what you describe this is a dc from a whole other company.
Steve Loumakis
Occasional Visitor

It is from a totally different company which is why I figured I'd need a clean install, just thought I'd ask before I took it on...