SOLVED
Go to solution
jmoseby
Occasional Visitor

Migrate drives from failing ML370G3 to identical spare box

Failing Server:

ML370G3

Smart Array 642 controller with 6X 146.8GB drives, RAID5

Integrated controller with 2X mirrored set for OS.

4GB ECC DDR

I have an identical spare.  I'd like to move the drives and start up the spare.  I have good backups, so no worries about data loss. 

Simple questions: 

1) According to the 642 controller manual, I can simply move the physical drive set to the new server.  Should I update the firmware in the target server beforehand, or will it be safer to leave it identical to the source?

2) Can I simply move the drives in the integrated controller's mirrored set to the new box in a similar fashion?

3) I intend to document the RAID and integrated SCSI controller settings and make sure they are identical on the spare beforehand.   What else should I do beforehand that will make this migration quick and painless?

Jim

2 REPLIES
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Migrate drives from failing ML370G3 to identical spare box

You pretty much have answered all the questions yourself

Identical spare with same controller and same cache and same controller settings is all you need :)

1) According to the 642 controller manual, I can simply move the physical drive set to the new server.  Should I update the firmware in the target server beforehand, or will it be safer to leave it identical to the source?

leave it identical to the source

2) Can I simply move the drives in the integrated controller's mirrored set to the new box in a similar fashion?

Yes, because RIS is on the drives

3) I intend to document the RAID and integrated SCSI controller settings and make sure they are identical on the spare beforehand.   What else should I do beforehand that will make this migration quick and painless?

You have covered pretty much everything along with good backups 

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
jmoseby
Occasional Visitor

Re: Migrate drives from failing ML370G3 to identical spare box

Thanks.  Just needed confirmation that I was on the correct path.