7042 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrate from Sata HDD to Sata SSD with Raid S100i SR controller

PiyushL
Occasional Contributor

Migrate from Sata HDD to Sata SSD with Raid S100i SR controller

Hi,

Currently i have 1 logical drive array with raid 1 configuration with 2 physical SATA HDD 1 TB each. I want to migrate from SATA HDD to SATA SSD. Can raid controller rebuild drive if i remove one 1 TB sata hdd and insert 1 TB sata ssd. And later once rebuild completes then i replace another sata hdd to sata ssd. This way i can migrate both physical drives to ssd instead of hdd.
Regards,
Piyush Luniya
1 REPLY 1
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Migrate from Sata HDD to Sata SSD with Raid S100i SR controller

Hi,

I could not find a suitable article for your question, but HDD to SSD should happen provided the Controller and Server supports mixing of HDD and SSD in the same array.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_kc-0128606

Before replacing drives
• Be sure that the array has a current, valid backup.
• Confirm that the replacement drive is of the same type as the degraded drive (either SAS or SATA and either hard drive or solid state drive).
• Use replacement drives that have a capacity equal to or larger than the capacity of the smallest drive in the array. The controller immediately fails drives that have insufficient capacity.

NOTE: I have not tested this type of migration personally, take a valid data backup and then you may perform the required taks.

Thank You!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo