1753943 Members
9334 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating DL360 to DL360G4

MBooth
Occasional Contributor

Migrating DL360 to DL360G4

Is it possible to take the drives out of a DL360G1 and put them into a DL360G4 (drives are both 36.4GB U320) and then update the drives to 146GB drives?

Running 1 mirror set
OS = Netware 6.5 SP5
6 REPLIES 6
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Mbooth,

Its not possible to extend system volume.

https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065834

SRH
MBooth
Occasional Contributor

Not sure if I understand you answer. You pointed me to someone whant to extend there NT Drive I'm wanting to take the mirror set out of a DL380G1 and put them into a DL360G4. After that I would like to swap the drives to 146GB drives.

Can I swap the mirrored drives to a newer machine?

Can I mirror a 146GB drive with a 36GB drive?
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

If you are able to make th OS boot from an unknow controller (6i) you can..

Just move the drives and turn the server on..

After that Just replace one 36GB HDD with a 146GB and let it rebuild completely, then do the same with the other drive.

After replacing them you'll have unused space on your logical drive, you can use that space on some OS to extend the C: drive or system drive but is not supported by most of the OS.. ( which doesn't mean not possible )

What you can safely do after this is create a second logical drive or extend an existing not system volume.

I've tried to extend C: drive on XP, 2000 and 2003 by using partition magic offline and it worked.

Regards.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

I've just posted this in another thread, you can use it to guide yourself throw ACU:

Hi there,

I've got this document form HP about 4 months ago and tried to extend C: drive, it didn't work the way they stated it should, they retired the distribution of teh documment since it wasn't official so I've made my own research and modified it a little bit.

I included links to all the documentation I've found to help me extend the C: drive.

See attachment. (*.doc in *.rar file) -> Use winrar.

(I left the document autor e-mail)

Regards.
Andreas Hultman

If You are using Rapid Deployment, You can use rdeploy to make an image of Your disk/partition, then replace the disks, then PXE-boo to RDP and restore the image to the new disk(s).
When You do this, You can alter the size of the partition, even if it's the system partition. Diskpart won't let You extend the system partition.
This has worked for us, as a backup plan You might want to pull one disk (and replace with a new one to rebuild) in case something SHOULD go wrong.

Good luck..
MBooth
Occasional Contributor

Fix was found using current drivers and the new hard drives using the netware os proved to be a little timely but worked in all.