108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating Hardware from PL1600 to DL360 G2 OS:NT4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trevor_12

Migrating Hardware from PL1600 to DL360 G2 OS:NT4

Having trouble with Array controllers.
Ghosted server to new box. Then tried to boot.
Blue screened.
Seems to be a problem with the scsi array drivers. The scsi controllers are as follows: the PL 1600 are smart 2sl, the DL 360 G2.
The OS is NT4 Sp6.
Is there any way to change the drivers.
Any help would be appreciated....
6 REPLIES 6
Duminda Peiris
Advisor
Solution

Think ur disks are connected thru smart 2sl in both PL1600 and DL360;

Do these changes only in ghost copy from the original OS installed in PL1600;

Connect the working ghost copy to the earlier server (PL1600) and boot into NT. Now remove the suspected device drivers and only keep essential drivers like array controller drivers etc(u can remove VGA, normal SCSI drivers, network drivers etc)

Now shutdown the svr and plug the disks with array controller into DL360 and boot into OS in VGA mode.

If by any chance the OS is up and running , u can update the relevent drivers for DL360 by running Sopport Paq.

Trevor_12

Migrating Hardware from PL1600 to DL360 G2 OS:NT4
question: Having trouble with Array controllers.
Ghosted server to new box. Then tried to boot.
Blue screened.
Seems to be a problem with the scsi array drivers. The scsi controllers are as follows: the PL 1600 are smart 2sl, the DL 360 G2.
The OS is NT4 Sp6.
Is there any way to change the drivers.
Any help would be appreciated....

OOps one thing to add Controller in the DL360 g2 is onboard 5i
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Not sure you can do it that way with a ghost image.

I just built one of those servers, put in the Smartstart CD, loaded W2K Server and went from there.

Smartstart will not load W2K Pro or NT, you have to load it manually if you want one of those OS's on it.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

If I understand correctly what you want to do is the following:
1) Ghost all NT4 data from the PL1600 disks (attached to the SA-2SL) to the DL360G2 disks (attached to the SA-5i Plus)
2) Boot your DL360G2 from the Ghosted disk

In my opinion, this is not really feasable since you're missing the NT4 driver in the Ghosted image for the embeded SA-5i controller on the DL360G2 + the DL360G2 is much more advanced (1Gb NICs + other videocontroller + other ASM chipset etc...), so no drivers for these devices.

Since you cannot move the 5i to the PL1600 to pre-install the driver there and you cannot use a SA-532 board (3.3V), you're pretty stuck :-)

Simply re-install the DL360G2 machine with Smartstart and NT4, re-install the applications and copy over the data.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Richard Shanahan

I have accomplished this task relatively easily. I went from a 1200 to a 380G2 (just about the same as from a 1600) so I'll detail my procedure. I did this with the help of a 500mhz Proliant 3000 (with a 3200 raid controller) and a spare 2sl controller.

1. Ghost the drive(s) from the old server
2. Load the C drive partition to the 3000 server
3. Bring up the 3000 (it will run a chkdsk 1st)
4. Video will be wrong, that's ok.
5. Run the ssd (I used 5.5).
6. Reboot and verify video and everything else is ok. (if you have Pcanywhere installed you need to disable/de-install it as it locks the video adapter configuration)
7. IMPORTANT!!!! Delete the Network adapter from the network settings.
8. Ghost this C drive partion.
9. Install the Smart 2/sl (or any smart 2 controller) in the bottom (non-hot plug) slot of the 380 and attach the scsi cable to the drive cage
10 Set the boot order so the 2/xx controller is the boot controller
11. Ghost the C partion from the 3000 to the 380
12. Reboot (it will run chkdsk and reboot)
13. Run the ssd AGAIN (I used 5.5) and reboot
14. Verify everything looks fine (video) and you can add/configure the NIC(s)
15. Shut down the server and remove the Smart 2/xx controller and recable everything the way it was
16. Verify the 5i is the 1st boot controller
17. Let it come up, verify it boots all the way to the o/s
18. Ghost any other partitions down from the ORIGINAL server

Hope this helps (or is not too late)

Rick
William Sagun
Occasional Contributor

You can migrate the PL1600 to DL360 G2.
1. Download the driver for the DL360 G2 array controller, this must be an embedded array controller 5i
2. Start up the PL1600 using the drive that you want to migrate
3. Open the Control Panel
4. Open the SCSI Adapters
5. Click on Drivers
6. Click on Add
7. Locate the driver for the DL 360 G2 Array controller
8. At the end of the installation, you may be prompted to restart, You can shutdown the server, power down the server and eject the drive, Please note that if you are using a Raid 1, all drives must be in the same slots in DL360 as you took out from the PL1600, if you insert only one of the mirrored pair, this will not mirror on the DL360 G2
9. Insert the recently configured drive into the DL 360 G2, you should be able to boot up with some error.
10. if you are not moving back to the PL1600, disable the CPQarray in the devices, you should check the event viewer and look for the devices which failed. disable those devices from the devices under the control panel.
11. Then load the ATI display driver and the NIC driver for the DL360 G2