1753945 Members
8204 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating drives from 6i to SA 6404

IAN CHAN
Occasional Contributor

Migrating drives from 6i to SA 6404

I am trying to migrate two logical volumes with 2 physical drives each from a 6i controller to a SA 6404. All drive are inside of a DL380 G4. I disconnect the two internal SCSI controllers attached to the back plane and connected them to the Smart Array 6404. I have update all the firmware from the firmware 7.80 download. Array A has the OS on it.

When I boot up the server, it goes into the windows startup screen for a few seconds and it would reboot again and again.

What do I have to do to accomplish this migration? And in general, what is involved in moving drives from different controllers or servers?

Thanks

Ian

5 REPLIES 5
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

Have you gone into the RBSU and changed the "Boot Controller" order to the 6400 channel that the OS drives are attached to?

If you haven't then what is happening is the boot.ini is expecting the drive/os to be at another location.

Only other suggestion would be to boot to windows recovery console and run a fixboot and fixmbr command.
IAN CHAN
Occasional Contributor

Yes I have tried that and when I boot with a Windows 2003 disk, no drives are available.

Thanks

Ian
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi Ian!

Try to connect you array back to 6i, and leave 6404 in slot. Let windows startup and install driver for 6404. After shutdown system and reconnect array to 6404, startup and change controller order in RBSU.
Good luck.
KMullins
Frequent Advisor

6i to 6404 shouldn't a problem.
attach the drives to the 6i controller with the 6400 installed in the system make sure the boot order is 6i first.

Boot to the OS and install the 6400 drivers
power down and connect the drives to the 6400 this time and set the boot controller order to the 6400 this time.

Alternative procedure what we have been using for 5i to 6400 controllers.

1. Perform a full backup of the system.

2. Extract the bundle that supports the Smart Array 6x controller. This component is available on the current version of Smart Start or from the HP Web Site.

to extract the files, place a blank formatted floppy in the floppy drive, double click on the bundle, press the Extract button and select your floppy drive.

3. Migrate your physical drives to the new server and connect them to the SA-6i.

4. The next series of steps involves using the Windows 2000 CD to repair the installation. It should be noted that all device drivers that are present on the media will be reverted to the media drivers. Also, any service packs will need to be installed again. Repair the OS installation is paramount to reinstalling the OS except all applications and user settings, security, etc remain in tact.

5. Cpqcissm.sys is the device driver that supports the Integrated Smart Array 6i controller. The Cpqcissm.sys driver version 5.60.0.0.32 (or later) needs to be installed on the system where the OS boot volume is configured on the Integrated Smart Array 6i controller. Without it, attempting to boot the OS on the new server may receive a blue screen because the new driver files are not installed.

Extract the component bundle that supports the Smart Array 6x controller. This component is available on the current version of Smart Start or from the Hp Web Site. To extract the files, place a blank formatted floppy in the floppy drive, double click on the bundle, press the Extract button and select your floppy drive.

6. Boot the Windows 2000/Server 2003 CD (Server, Advance Server, etc) that was used to install the OS on the old server.

7. The screen will turn blue and the status line will read, "Press F6 to install a 3rd party driver". Press F6 several times.

8. When screen appears to add storage controllers, press S to specify addition device drivers.

9. Install the floppy with the extract drivers for the SA-6i.

10. Select the SA-6i

11. When the screen is drawn listed what mass storage controllers are supported, press ENTER to continue.

12. When the Welcome to Setup screen is drawn, press ENTER to continue. Do not select repair at this point.

13. When the Windows 2000 license agreement is drawn, press F8 to agree.

14. When the Windows 2000 Server Setup screen appears, there should be a list of OS installations. Select the OS installation to repair and press R.

15. Follow the instructions on the screen until the repair is complete.

16. Don├в t forget to upgrade drivers replace during the repair and install service packs.

IAN CHAN
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dima and KMullins,

I will try your suggestions... I also need to migrate drives from a SA642 to a a SA6404.

I am surprised that HP does not have technical documents on this subject... I am sure I am not the only one with such problems. HP support just sent me a new card without giving me any of your suggestions... their support is going downhill.

Will let you know how it goes.

Ian