cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from DL380G4 to 380G5 - Linux RHEL4

coolshan10
Occasional Contributor

Migrating from DL380G4 to 380G5 - Linux RHEL4

We have a DL380G4 server with 6i controller, ultra320 SCSI HDD's running Linux, RHEL 4 and we want to migrate the system to a DL380G5 server with P400 controller, SAS HDD's without reinstalling the OS and applications. Basically we want to move the OS, Applications & data to the new hardware without loosing it. HP's "SMP P2P" supports only windows 32-bit migrations so my question is, is it possible to do so & if so any ideas.

Thank you.
2 REPLIES
Andrew Young_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrating from DL380G4 to 380G5 - Linux RHEL4

Hi

Which release of RHEL 4 are you running?

This is what we did when moving from DL360G4 to BL460c, however it should work for you.

Install the base OS on the new server making sure your filesystem sizes are similar or larger than the old server and if you are using lvm that the lvm names are the same.

Reboot into rescue mode.

Rsync the server files across excluding /proc and /dev. Maybe also exclude your application data till you aready.

Change /etc/network-scripts file to use the correct IP address (since you don't want duplicate IP's on the network).

Install the latest RHEL 4 kernel to fix any driver issues using rpm -ivh .

Make sure that grub is booting to the correct kernel, maybe use grub-install.

When you are ready to go live, rsync your application data, change hostnames and IP-addresses on both servers.

Good luck.

HTH

Andrew Y
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes
Steve Hobday
Occasional Visitor

Re: Migrating from DL380G4 to 380G5 - Linux RHEL4

Moving the OS will require that the appropriate driver is installed so that it can boot from the P400. Try installing the driver before migrating (I assume you are using another tool to do this).

Copy the appropriate driver to the /lib/modules folder for your kernel.
Edit modules.dep to add the dependency.
Use mkinitrd to build a new boot image.