Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from RAID 1 to 5

Wes Leong
Occasional Advisor

Migrating from RAID 1 to 5

I have a Proliant ML350G2 with a RAID1 setup (2x36gb),
c=4gb,f=29gb,m=4gb. Is there a straightforward way to add 2 new 36gb drives and migrate to a RAID5 setup? Would i be able to expand drive c too? to about 8gb??

11 REPLIES
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrating from RAID 1 to 5

You can not do that. You need to do a backup of your data, delete the existing array, add the two new drives, run the ACU to configure a new array of 4 36GB drives and restore your data.
e4services
Honored Contributor

This is true as far as our experience, though the test has never been attempted. You can add 1 drive and create a miiror, but to jump to a RAID 5, the format is different, share information rather than straight duplicating.
You will need to backup anyway, so try it and report your results!
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

The easiest way to expand the C drive would be to use a third party utility like Server Magic from Powerquest.

But like the other's said, make sure you have a good backup. You should be able to Expand the array first, then Migrate your logical drive. I would boot into smartstart to do this instead of running it inside of the OS. And if that fails, you still have the tape to restore from.

e4services
Honored Contributor

Further investigation in my HP NetRAID Manual says YOU CAN. HP says "Valid Configuration changes" include "RAID 1 Optimal to RAID 3 or 5 optimal, Configuration event = Add drives"

As I understand it, you can add drives (one for you) , then open the RAID utility to Reconstruct and select the logical drive then change the RAID level to 5.

From the NetRAID users manual:
"To change the RAID level of a logical drive that is currently in use, the logical
drive must be reconstructed. Follow these steps:
1. Choose Advanced Menu from the HP NetRAID Config Management
menu.
2. Select Reconstruct Logical Drive.
3. Select the logical drive to be changed. A Reconstruct window is displayed.
4. Press Enter to see the Reconstruct menu.
5. Select RAID level.
6. Choose the new RAID level."
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Wes Leong
Occasional Advisor

I forgot to mention that my Compaq Proliant ML350 Server uses a Compaq Smart Array 532 Controller. Further investigating, i found in the 532 controller user guide, says that it is possible to migrate to a different raid level.
BOULET_4
Occasional Advisor

It's possible to migrate from Raid 1 to Raid 5 with 532x. I have done that a few times and it works well. I use the SmartArray software under Windows to migrate the pool.
Wes Leong
Occasional Advisor

Boulet, how long did it take you to do the migration? Do you have any tips? I have about 30gb that i want to migrate to raid 5
BOULET_4
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

The migration depends of the space utilisation.

For example i migrate a RAID1 2*18GO to RAID5 3*18GO with 6GO on the disk. It takes about 3 hours (and i have to make it during the working day, better to do that at night).
Martin Forster_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

speed depends on priority for the expand process and the usage on the drives.
Cpq has told me 2years ago or so that the minium performacne in a worst case szenario should be 1GB/h .

The 2nd question is to expand the c drive.
you can expand the logical drive on which the c partition is located. But it is then now up to operating system (or some 3rd party utilities) to expand the c drive.

Anyway i would not expand the c drive to sizes larger 4096MB.
This was with old drivers a logical barrier.

I personally try to seperate the system and the programs to different drives or partitions.

Greetings.
Wes Leong
Occasional Advisor

Does it matter that I don't have much free space in my RAID-1 setup now? I only have 1.3GB free on my C: Drive (system), & 4GB free on my f: Drive (data)?
Martin Forster_1
Frequent Advisor

the data doesnt matter.
The only thing you have to take care is the size of the logical Drives. (From the view of the Raid Controller)