ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752345 Members
5520 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Migrating from Raid 0 to Raid 0+1 on Smart Array 5i How ?

Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

Migrating from Raid 0 to Raid 0+1 on Smart Array 5i How ?

Hello,

I wish to add Fault protection to a Raid 0 Array B, by adding another exactly the same drive to the array and extend it to Raid 0+1 using a smart 5i controller with the latest firmware and windows 2000 SP4 and latest ACU.

See attached Pic.

I don't wish to loose the data on the current Array B and I have a full tape backup of this drive.

What steps do I select and or is this possible?

Many Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Here is what you need to do:
· You would need to expand Array B. This process involves adding the unassigned drive to Array B. To do this highlight Array B and on the links on the right you will get an option to expand.
· The expansion process will take some time. At the end of the expand process you will have unused space under Array B.
From here you will need to migrate from RAID 0 to 1. TO do this select the logical drive under Array B, you will get the option to Migrate as one on the links on the right.

No EXTENSION is involved in this pro
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

Vijay,

Many Thanks

!!!Undocumented Feature!!!!!

I though I was on the right track before I logged this on the Forum.

When the disk has finished expanding and shows 100% complete. There is still a yellow warning See attached Pic 2. ACU 7.15.19.0
This does not go away and the Migrate option does not become available until you close ACU and reopen it.

Then the Migrate option becomes available and the warning disappears (Seems only one attachment per reply Pic 3)

Many Thanks again

Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

I think the rescan controller and refresh also work.
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Michael Goh
Occasional Advisor

Hi Just to check whether does the migration procedure applies to all the other RAID controller??

Many Thanks.

Chrrs,
Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure about all RAID controllers.

All I know is it went horribly wrong as the SQL install on this server was still writing data whilst the first part of the process had started and I eventually corrupted the DB and then lost the volume. Various MS events which were not recoverable.

Total rebuild and restore from tape.

In hindsight stopping SQL first would have been a good idea.

pj_11
Super Advisor

Hello All,

I am very new to this so any help be great.
I have a DL360 G3 currently has a raid level
of 0.I have added a second disk to expand the array.Then i have migrated the raid level
0&1.The Array a see's the logical drive 1 as
raid 0 and logical drive 2 as raid 0&1 this is the second disk.Both disks are 36gb.O/S is
NT4.in Windisk i have disk 0 orginal 34727
then disk 1 after expansion showing 17364.
i am confused as both disks are 36gb.How do i migrate both raid levels on both disks to
raid 0&1.Is the actual size also correct on the new disk which is 36gb.Have i done something wrong.

Logical drive 1 is 34727 Raid 0
logical drive 2 is 17363 added disk raid 0&1.

Many Thanks

PJ
PJ