ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7903 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating to new disks won't boot (DL380 g3, 5i controller)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mikkel Moe

Migrating to new disks won't boot (DL380 g3, 5i controller)

Hi, I'm having a little migration migrane here..

There is a 380G3 with an Array 5i controller in my hot and noisy server room.

And in this server there is an Array A (72GB) and the new Array B(148GB) with one logical disk each. I have copied all 3 partitions from one array to the other using Acronis Disk Director.

After copy I pulled out the disks from Array A, and tried booting but the server would not boot from the new Array B. I did not delete the former Array A so I could stick them right in if something went wrong (which it did :).

Do I have to delete Array A to boot or is there something else I'm missing here? I was looking for a boot priority setting for logical disks in RBSU (BIOS), but did not find one.

Thanks if anyone has a clue here, would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Robert Rushford

Re: Migrating to new disks won't boot (DL380 g3, 5i controller)

Mikkex,

I think that you may havn't set the patitions to be bootable so the server can't boot

I would recommend that you download a partition manager like this one and check

http://www.ranish.com/part

This CD is also good http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Rob
Mikkel Moe

Thanks Rob,

All partitions were copied as they were, with boot settings, active and primary flags intact. This should be a spitting image of the disks we're cloning and that's why I suspect the disk controller.

I have done a lot of theses copies without problems earlier with non RAID SATA disks.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mikkel,
AFAIK there is no way to boot from Array other than Array A. So, you need to delete Array A and then your Array B (148GB) automatically will be become Array A.
I think you will be able back to your Array A (72GB) if something going bad because Array configuration stored on the disks as well and when you put Array A disks back SmartArray controller will read configuration from disks.
Mikkel Moe

Thanks Igor, Deleting the other arrays allowed booting from the new one. But new complications arose..

There is another array on the server, containing user data. Problem is this:

When it stands alone, the new boot array is named array A and has a logical drive 3.

When the user data array is inserted, it automatically takes the array A name and degrades the other to B, and the server will not boot. So, I can start the server, but only with one array.

Is there a way to force the naming of the data array "Array B"?
Is this happening because the new boot drive is logical drive 3?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Mikkel,
sorry, I have no idea how to do it without deleting/recreating your user data array.
But I hope something else will have suggestions.