1748256 Members
3706 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migration to 64 bit

Alan Morris_5
Occasional Advisor

Migration to 64 bit

We plan to upgrade from Win2000/Exchange2000 on a Proliant 32 bit server to a DL385 Opteron based server. We feel reasonably comfortable with the 2000->2003 migration, but are not sure about achieving a 32bit - 64 bit migration. I would be garteful if anyone could provide some pointers to any reference documentation/CaseStudies concerning this.

Regards,

6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Migration to 64 bit

Alan Morris_5
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks pointer, but what I need to understand is how do I get from running in 32bit legacy mode to full 64 bit mode with windows and exchange.

Grateful any further sugestions.
raadek
Honored Contributor

Alan,

A quick summary:
- 32-bit legacy mode = 32-bit drivers & 32-bit applications - plain & simple, all runs 32-bit
- Compatibility mode = 64-bit OS & 64-bit drivers ONLY - support for both 32-bit & 64-bit apps (same 32-bit apps may require a 64-bit update though)
- Full 64-bit mode - 64-bit, 64-bit drivers & 64-bit apps required - no support for legacy application.

You would need to migrate your OS to Win2K3 64-bit & Exchange 2000 to 2007 to get 64-bit funcionality. Bear in mind, however, that Exchange 2007 is in beta testing now & (hopefuly) will be released as a production version next year.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Alan Morris_5
Occasional Advisor

Raadek,

Thanks very useful previous input - apologies my naive questions. So I have a 32 bit OS running in legacy mode (and lets say Exchange 2003). If I want to upgrade to 64bit compatability mode, do I have to start from scratch, clean build, restore exchange etc or is there a windows upgrade route?

Then if I want to migrate to 64bit exchange and 64 bit Native mode, I presume I uninstall exchange. Can I change the HAL in flight (ie amend the boot.ini)? Then install the 64 bit exchange version and restore the database.

It's this nitty gritty I want to understand in order to plan. Again any references to documentatin either HP, MS or elsewhere warmly welcomed. Thanks.
raadek
Honored Contributor

On the OS side - clean instal would be the way to go: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896334 says 'Because of these changes, we recommend that you perform a clean installation of the Windows x64 Editions operating systems from the CD-ROM'

In your case it shouldn't bother you as you need to change your hardware anyway.

Re Exchange 2000/2003 => 2007 - you can find some info there:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/E2k7Help/a313c016-0e51-466e-a3de-953e1e0d347d.mspx?mfr=true
I think though that the small print says you migrate just your data to a new installation of Exchange 2007.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Alan Morris_5
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks your further input, I will go away and follow up.

Regards,