HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration to New Server Platform

Robert S Talbot
Occasional Visitor

Migration to New Server Platform

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this matter …

I have a customer who has a number of HP servers that have past their end of service life dates. The question that I need to address is what current model of server is the logical replacement for the older models.

Obviously I shall need to take into account the amount of memory, disk size and CPU type and type on the old servers, but at the moment I am just trying to put together a rough estimate of the cost to migrate the servers to a new platform, and part of that is knowing the logical replacement for the servers in question.

The models in question are as follows:

PL2500
PL850R
PL7000
PL6500
PL1600
PL800
PL1850
PL3000
PL8500
DL380 G1
DL380
ML370 G2
DL580
Evo D500
DL380 G2
DL760
Evo D510
Evo 510
PROSIGNIA 200
Prosignia 2000

Many thanks in advance, Rob
4 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Migration to New Server Platform

Robert, most of these models are so old that there is no valid comparison. You should probably look into virtualization, as likely the workloads hosted by a 200MHz Pentium Pro (featured in many of the ProLiant models you name above) could be consolidated onto a single platform like today's DL380 G6 which has 2 sockets with 4 cores each and memory sizes in the 128GB range and above.
Robert S Talbot
Occasional Visitor

David, many thanks for your reply and for your suggestion. Regards, Rob
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I agree with David. My 2 cents...

If you are going to consider virtualization, then you should probably get in touch with your reseller to see if they can perform an assessment on your environment, or find another reseller that can.

Virtualization assessments will generally give you a good idea of "what" servers can be consolidated/virtualized as well as give you a consolidation ratio based on a pre-defined set of hardware (like the DL380G6).

Along with this, you will probably want to think about a few things...

1. Do you want to put all of your eggs into 1 basket? (Consolidate all of your current servers into an environmnt that is not clustered.)

2. How do you recover from hardware failures without effecting ALL or "too many" of your "virtualized" servers?

3. Do you have a DR plan? or do you need to implement one?

If you simply want to move off the old hardware and into new hardware... most of the listed servers would work themselves easily into the current DL360 models and/or the Dl380 models.

Another option in current platforms would be blade servers. Blades offer a smaller, more dense footprint. You can fit 8 to 16 to 32 servers into a 10U environment. 10U is about 15 or so inches in height.... 5 DL380's, 10 DL360's. They cost less to operate.. less power, less cooling, etc so the long term investment has a decent return.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Robert S Talbot
Occasional Visitor

Sound advice. Thanks for your reply Steven.

-Rob