1753516 Members
5358 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirror drive

Em Dmitriy

Mirror drive

Hello everybody,

We have a ML350 G3, 3 SCSI Harddrives (0,1,2)and MS Windows 2000 Server.
Before It was only 2 harddrives. We got new Scsi drive and I have to made mirror (1 and 2). But I could not made it. I connected new drive and during the Post, it was installed normal. It has 2 partition, EISA configuration (8MB) and Unallocated. I try choose Add mirror on drive (1), but this point is unavailable.

What should I do?
6 REPLIES 6
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirror drive

Give us a bit more to help you.
Drives are conected to the onboard SCSI or to a RAID controller? If you saw the drive at post, as the SCSI BIOS loads, then it is connected to a standard SCSI controller and you are attempting a soft mirror?
The new drive already has 2 partitions on it?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Em Dmitriy

Hard disks connect to the onboard SCSI. I attempted made soft mirror. Yes, the new disk has 1 partition (EISA Configuration) and
unallocated place
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well there ls the problem. You will not be able to create a mirror to your disk (1)if the new disk (2) has anything on it. The disk (2)must be clean, no partitions or data for the software to accept it as a viable available drive to be added to a mirror group. The new drive(2) also must be the same reported size or greater in size to the old drive(1)
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Em Dmitriy

Hello,
But I could not erase partition (EISA Configuration), what should I do?
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Creating software mirror demands both disk are being dynamic disks and free space equivalent to "master" disk.
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Em,
If it is the second drive that has the EISA Configuration Partition (also known as the Utility Partition), you can blow that away if you don't need it. If it won't delete from Disk Management, use the SCSI Configuration Utility to do a low-level format of the drive; that will get rid of it.
Good luck,
Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T. M.C.P
I am King...of my apartment.