1753349 Members
4797 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mirroring

Mazen_4

Mirroring

Hi, I have 2 Proliant DL360 G2 servers configured with Raid 1.
I want to replicate all data on server 1 to server 2.
What is the best way to do it?
I read in the HP Array configuration utility guide that I can split a mirrored array and recombine it. Can this be helpful in my case?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
simon_164
Super Advisor

Mazen,
here's two quick solutions i can think of:
1- take the second disk from the first server "i'll call it disk 1-B"
remove disks 2-A and 2-B from the second server and put the disk 1-B in the place of the disk 2-B, boot on Smart Start CD, delete the configuration on the Raid controller, and boot the server; it will start on the second disk of the second server; then u can rebuild the mirror in the second server by putting one disk over there.
if everything work with no problems, put the remaining disk in 1-B to regain the mirror configuration.
whatever you do; try to not touch the 1-A disk on the first server. in this way whatever goes wrong you can still have your first server, and since you want to copy all data to the second server i suppose you do not care about configuration coz you're not concerned with the data on it.

2- the second solution suppose that you have enought space, just use any partition imaging utility to create an image of the partition and then use the image on the second server, I recommend RDP:
* install RDP
* Add the two servers to it
* take the image from the first server
* put the image on the second server

good luck,
Mazen_4

Hi Simon. Thanks for your reply.
When I delete the configuration on the raid controller, should I recreate another one?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

No Configuration store on the Array Controller Itself
All info on the HDD
For HW mirrored - bring server down, split drives and insert to second system in to same bay as it was used in the server A.
Power Up make sure both Server up and running, accept recovery mode add second drive on the fly when Server up and running.
Rebuild should start automatically to second drive.
simon_164
Super Advisor

Hi Mazen,
do not recreate any information on the net raid controller, the idea is that the configuration will be copied from the disk, that what we want. So only delete the configuration and then plug the disk.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Simon, it's not a Netraid controller. Smart Array controllers only store config on the disks. Clearing an array configuration with disks attached will wipe those disks as well.
Kov's method looks right to me.

Stephen
Mazen_4

Hi KOV, can you explain in more details your method?
Can this method work:
Split the mirrored array on server1 into 2 new arrays consisting of Raid 0 logical drives.Remove physical drive that constitute one of the new arrays.on server2,delete the raid configuration, remove one physical drive, recreate a new array consisting of this HDD (raid0).plug the HDD from server1 in server2 and recombine the 2 arrays into one mirrored array with the HDD from server1 as the source array.
Please see the attached file for more details
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

1. Take the server offline.
2. Pull drive ID1 out
3. Power Up Server without drive ID1
4. Accept On the POST: Message for Drive Failure and Automatic Recovery
5. Server should boot from one Drive
6. Add spare drive to the empty bay and let it rebuild itself no additional action necessary

in the 100% healthy environment all will be done automatically for you.

ID1 Drive insert in the second bay Server B
Power Up server and follow with step 4

Recommended Prerequisites for both servers
System Rom Identical Version
Firmware for Array Controller
Array Controller Driver it and ACU Update before split
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
simon_164
Super Advisor

Dear All,
the SA controller version 2 will take the configurations that are written on the disks by default; however i will never take the chance; since i want the configuration that is on the disks; i will clear the configuration that is on the controller and thus it will take the configuration that exists on the disks;
be aware u should start on Smart Start to access ACU and then do the clear configuration from there.
I'd like to go as much secure as i can.
simon_164
Super Advisor

Stephen,
Clearing the configuration with no disks attached will clear the configuration on the Smart Array controller. attaching disks will force it to copy configuration from the disks to the array.