9892 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Missing DL140 G2 Drivers

Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Missing DL140 G2 Drivers

Hi all,

We've just had delivery of a new DL140 G2 but it seems to be missing it's Smart Start CD.

Under normal circumstances i'd simply report the problem to our supplier and they'd arrange a replacement CD but I need this Server up and running as soon as possible because I go on vacation in 2 days time.

Here's the problem - hopefully some kind soul might be able to suggest something.

The Server has an OS on it now (2003 Server) but I can see in the device manager that it doesn't have drivers for the following named items:

PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
System Interrupt Controller
System Interrupt Controller

I've scoured the HP website but can't seem to find drivers which would be suitable in this case. I'm guessing the PCI Device is either the disk controller (mounted off the Riser Card) or possibly the ILO - but i'm unable to find suitable drivers for these anywhere.

I'm also finding that things such as the VCA fail to work because the Insight Management Agents are not installed. However, when I try to install these items the following error is shown:

The installation program couldn't find the appropriate system management
controller driver which is required but is not currently installed. Please
install the appropriate system management controller driver and then rerun
the setup program.

Can anyone explain what needs installing to get rid of this error?

Any help which can be offered would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards

Pete
6 REPLIES 6
John Drew
Advisor

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately the ProLiant 1x series machines don't come with SmartStart.

If you go to the following URL you'll find the software and drivers for the DL140 G2:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6149.html

You can get to this page by going to http://support.hp.com (it'll automatically redirect you)

under the Product key, type in DL140 and under the Question type in driver.

Select the HP ProLiant DL140 G2 Rack Server link when it comes up, and under the Product Quick Links on the left click on the Software & Driver downloads section.

There's also a FAQ section that might have information of interest to you.

Regards,

John.

Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Hi John,

Thanks for the information.

I've now managed to download the driver package (the one at about 130MB) and now that the Chipset Drivers are installed I no longer have any flagged devices in the Device Manager.

Can you confirm for me if the DL140 supports the HP Insight Management Agents? Surely I need to install these to use things such as the VCA.

I've tried downloading the latest version of the agents but when I try to install them it says:

The software is not supported for installation on this system.

The installation program couldn't find the appropriate system management controller driver which is required but is not currently installed. Please install the appropriate system management controller driver and then rerun the setup program.

Any ideas why this is? Is it simply that the agents are not supported on the DL140?

Pete
John Drew
Advisor

Hi Pete.

The 1x series of the ProLiant really isn't a true "ProLiant" server - it's more like HP's way of competing with Dell on the inexpensive server line. Seems like they tagged it with the ProLiant name for marketing only, and it doesn't have the features of its bigger cousins.

Things like management agents & smartstart don't work on these boxes. You don't get that functionality until you get to the 3x series and higher.
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I'm a little frustrated by this as nowhere in the information I read prior to the purchase of the server was this made clear. It seems stupid to me that a HP Server cannot be managed via the agents - I thought the whole point of the agents was to have a consistent method by which the server can be managed and monitored.

Now that the Server is in the Rack and ready to go i've got little choice but to continue pushing ahead.

Thanks for your help though.

Pete
John Drew
Advisor

I agree - it is frustrating that HP chose to give these boxes the ProLiant name but didn't include some of the features.

I typically refer to quickspecs (you can get there at the following URL)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html

If you drill down to your server and open the specs, you'll find a section called ProLiant Essentials Foundation Pack Software

The 1x series doesn't list SmartStart or the management agents. If you look at any of the 3x (or above) series you'll see all of the options there.

Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the tips John - i've had my fingers burnt this time but i'll keep what you've said in mind for the future.

Cheers

Pete