1753484 Members
4146 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Missing NTLDR after cloning win2k problem

myuk

Missing NTLDR after cloning win2k problem

Hello

I hav a DL380 G5 runnng on win2k configured to be running in raid 1+0 having 3 separate arrays to hold my c d e drive respectively.

Recently i tried to clone out an image of all my drives using acronis v12 and clone it onto another exact server. When i boot tt cloned svr up, it shows NTLDR is missing...

Anyone can help me with this?

Thank You!
Myuk
5 REPLIES 5
Berm├║dez
Frequent Advisor

Causes:

-Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
-Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
-Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
-Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.

-New hard disk drive being added.
-Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
-Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
-Loose or Faulty hard disk drive cable.
-Failing to enable USB keyboard support in the BIOS.

-----------------------------------------

Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file

Windows 2000 users

If your computer is using Microsoft Windows 2000 and you are encountering the NTLDR error. Create the below boot.ini file on the floppy diskette drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from another computer using the same operating system. Both of these files are located in the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. For example, C:\NTLDR and C:\NTDETECT.COM should be the locations of these files on many computers.

Please keep in mind that these files are hidden system files, if you need additional help with viewing hidden files in Windows please see document CH000516.

Once these files have been copied to a floppy diskette reboot the computer and copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. Below is an example of what commonly should be performed from the A:\> drive.

copy ntldr c:
copy ntdetect.com c:

After the above two files have been copied, remove the floppy diskette and reboot the computer.

---------
Corrupt boot sector / master boot record

It's possible your computer's hard disk drive may have a corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record. These can be repaired through the Microsoft Windows Recovery console by running the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

Additional information and help in getting into the Microsoft Windows Recovery console can be found on document CH000627.
Berm├║dez
Frequent Advisor

How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

Method 1: Use a Boot Disk to Start the Computer
Method 2: Use the Recovery Console
Method 3: Use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM
Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000
myuk

ok thks! problem solved!

hmm i think tt tis isnt a viable solution for long term...any idea how to duplicate my server to another without sacrificing my raid (1+0)?

i tried spliting the raid and put on another server but i cant seemed to turn it back to raid (1+0)...

Hope someone could help me with this,
very appreciated!

Thank You!
u84823
Regular Advisor

I would seriously consider getting an ESXi host and migrating old Win2K stuff to that.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Splitting:
If you followed the guide, for splitting the array, on a Smart Array 6Xxx, it tell you how to create a new 1+0.
(I have never tried this)

If you split "manually" - Shut down and remove a drive.
Then you must put the removed drive, on the same ID, as it came from, powre up, select F2(Default) interim recovery mode, then put in a new drive in the exact same position as the missing drive!!

Ei:
You got a server with 2 drives ID 0 and 1, Configured as RAID 1+0.

You shut down, and remove 1 drive. Let's say you remove drive ID 1.

You put it in another server.
Then you must put it in ID 1.
Do power up, and wait for it to pass the Smart Array LUN Scanning, and select interim recovery mode.
Then put in a new drive in ID 0.

On the server that you removed the drive.
Power up etc.
Put in a new drive in ID 1

Now you have got 2 identical sets.

Do remember, to always have a good backup.

Accept or Kudo