New Discussion юеВ

Re: Missing processor under Server 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric_236
Occasional Advisor

Missing processor under Server 2003

Proliant 3000 - dual P3 600
Both processors show upon posting, but the OS does not recognize the second processor.
My computer properties shows one processor.
Task manager shows one processor.
BIOS is up-to-date.

How do I get it to recognize the other processor?
9 REPLIES 9
Simon Hallewell
Advisor

Hi,

If you're running windows NT 4.0 you may need to update to the multiprocessor hal. You can do this with a utility called UPTOMP.exe.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Eric,

You can upgrade the HAL to see the second CPU in 2000/2003 with the following procedure.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techenthusiast/tricks/administration/uniprocessor.asp

Regards,

Brian
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi

if you did not instal your OS with smartstart you will have to upgrade to multiprocessor HAL. see Microsoft docu for that one.

important: (next steps)

now you might have problems or not when booting. no matter what happens, ALWAYS do this:

1) press F10 for system partition.
2) in the main menu press CTRL-A for advanced mode
3) select hardware configuration
4) look for a point called "APIC or MPS setting"
5) select "Full Table"
6) save settings
7) reboot

best regards
ernesto
Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

You need to upgrade HAL for the 2nd processor support.

Everything is possible
Eric_236
Occasional Advisor

Trying this on a test machine of a different type before I bring down the server.

What is the difference between:
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC

Which do I choose?
Eric_236
Occasional Advisor

BTW, I used SmartStart 5.5 to install Windows 2003 server. I selected the manual install process and chose "Other" for operating system.
Eric_236
Occasional Advisor

Fixed it. Thanks to all that replied.

Here was the fix...

I wiped the server and started from scratch using SS 5.5 and Windows 2000 server. The second processor was found as "MPS Multiprocessor PC" under hardware.

I then found a document from Microsoft that mentioned how you can force the processor type when installing Windows by hitting F5 at the "third party" adapter prompt during setup. Using this, I was able to force an install for MPS with Server 2003. But when I got to a certain point in the setup, the system froze. I rebooted and tried again - same deal. Then I remembered what Ernst said and I checked the BIOS. Sure enough the setting was disabled. I switched it to "full table" and rebooted. I was able to get through the setup after this.

The install is now done and I have 2003 up and running. Thanks!
Eric_236
Occasional Advisor

BTW, I wasn't able to "upgrade" to the second processor using the driver update. The only selection was Standard PC, hence the rebuid.
Greg Wasley_1
Occasional Contributor

I had the same problem with an 1850R PIII, done a fresh install of Windows 2003 and it only detected the one processor (BIOS level was fine). Applied the recommendation that Ernesto suggested, reinstalled W2K3 - both processors were then detected.