7751 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

Hello,

I had a 3.84TB SATA 6G SSD with P/N P02562-001 taken offline due to failure. I contacted HPE and they informed me that that P/N has disconnected and they could replace it with 3.84TB SAS 12G SSD with P/N P10610-001.

My searches regarding mixing SAS/SATA found results only on older models (G7), where I saw there were incompatibility. Since there might be a slight possibility the local HPE techs are wrong, can someone please let me know:
1) Have you mixed SAS/SATA SSD on the same array? 12G is not an issue since in an array it will operate as 6G, but SAS+SATA together?
2) The defective drive has been replaced with another from our stock, so this new drive can be used on another project. I can use it on a ceph storage where the drives are in HBA mode with separate OSD daemons, where they don't belong to a RAID array. Would that work? I'm asking because in a post (for G7) I saw thay they couldn't even co-exist on the same channel ( https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/mixing-SAS-SATA-drives/m-p/4058157/highlight/true#M68582 ).

Sincerely,
George Vardikos

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
4 REPLIES 4
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

System recommended content:

1. HP ProLiant Servers - SAS or SATA Hard Disk Drive Failed

2. HPE SAS Hard Drives

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Re: Query: Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

Unfortunately these articles are irrelevant

Sincerely,
George Vardikos
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

@George Vardikos

Mix-and-match SAS and SATA drives to the same controller is supported however

"Mixed drives are not allowed on the same array or logical drives" - This you can find in the SSA user guide(Page 71)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03909334

other reference

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03424975

• Drives must be the same capacity to provide the greatest storage space efficiency when drives are grouped together into the same drive array.

• Drives in the same logical volume must be of the same type. ACU does not support mixing SAS, SATA, and SSD drives in the same logical volume.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

George Vardikos
Frequent Advisor

Re: Mixing SAS / SATA drives on Gen9/Gen10 servers

Hello @sudhirsingh ,

Thank you for your reply. Since they are not to be matched on the same logical volume, may I ask why did that part was sent as a replacement? I will not use it on a logical volume (I will use it on HBA mode so it will suit me), but I would like to know if it's true that P/N P02562-001 is disconnected and replaced by P10610-001.

If the information provided was incorrect, can I contact them asking for the correct replacement? is there a link which shows if P02562-001 is current or which the correct replacement P/N is?

Sincerely,
George Vardikos

Sincerely,
George Vardikos