ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752453 Members
5986 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Mixing different hard drive model/firmware versions (same spare number) in a server/array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Global_One_Tech
Advisor

Mixing different hard drive model/firmware versions (same spare number) in a server/array

Hello,

Is it okay to use these drives together?

BF036863B5 HPB3

and

BF0368A4CA HPB5

I realize they are the same spare number (404714-001) and have been advised by the supplier that they are functionally identical and compatible but wanted to get verification from HP on this.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Mixing different hard drive model/firmware versions (same spare number) in a server/array

Hi,

You can use the two drives togeather provided they both have the same part number and description.

Firmware version depends on the model number and model depends on drive manufacturer or month/year of manufacture.

289241-001 = 36.4 GB Ultra320 SCSI 15K rpm Universal Hot-plug hard drive, (1 inches).

Alternate part number is RoHS 404714-001.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Global_One_Tech
Advisor

Suman, thank you for your reply.

I see in the HP Model Number Matrix document (linked here) that the BF036863B5 and the BF0368A4CA are both the same spare number (404714-001) and have the same description (36.4 GB, Ultra320, 15K Hot-Pluggable, SCA 80 pin 1-inch).

So, to clarify, are you saying that it is okay to use the the BF036863B5 and the BF0368A4CA in the same server/array, even though they are different firmware versions?

Thanks!

Suman_1978
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Yes you can use these two models in same array.

Concern would be if you use different firmware version on the similar model drives.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The only steadfast rule on drives in an array is that they must be of the same type either SAS or SATA.  You should always run the latest firmware on the drives. Diffrerent drive models of the same capacity may not use the same firmware.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Global_One_Tech
Advisor

Thank you both for confirming that it is okay to use those two models in the same server/array.

You mentioned that it is best to always run the latest firmware.  Can you provide a link to where we can get the latest firmware for these drives?

Global_One_Tech
Advisor

To answer my own question - here is where the latest firmware can be found:

HP SCSI Ultra320 Hot-Pluggable Hard Disk Drives - Firmware

I assume if a model isn't listed, then there were never any post-production firmware updates?