ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752302 Members
4866 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ml110 G6 Easy Setup CD has not windows server 2008 R2 foundation listed on operating systems

Anuar Obreg├│n
Frequent Advisor

Ml110 G6 Easy Setup CD has not windows server 2008 R2 foundation listed on operating systems

I'm trying to install a ML110 G6 server using Easy setup CD ver 2.30 and windows server 2008 foundation.

The environment:
- Mirror array with embedded B110i array controller.
- 2010.01.26 (A) firmware.
- HP Branded Windows foundation media.

Easy Setup CD has not windows server foundation listed when it asks me about operating system. Documentation says that it is supported.
If I select Windows server 2008 standard, I get an error that says that install.wim file is not found on media.

If I use only Windows foundation DVD i get an error with a header "SBSBIOSLock" and body "Could not find the media"

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: Ml110 G6 Easy Setup CD has not windows server 2008 R2 foundation listed on operating systems

Hi,

Easy Set-up CD can be used for smart array controller card.Because, Onboard controller card does not support.

Before 2008 server set up manually. You'll then install the drivers.

HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3984625&prodNameId=3984626&swEnvOID=4071&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-2d4c46eb03f849d491ec3315a7

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Anuar Obreg├│n
Frequent Advisor

As a matter of fact, array is supported now.

I installed windows server 2008 standard ROK media using easy setup cd and selecting windows server 2008 standard as operating system. Everything worked fine (including array).

Here's another thing I found:
If I do a clean install using a common media I can install windows normaly (of course adding drivers) but I use HP windows server 2008 standard or foundation branded media I get the BIOSLock Error.
Luca Sampietro
Occasional Advisor

After spendig perhaps 2 hours at phone with HP, the response was that in the

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 ROK (branded) HP media,

there is no information about the Smart Array B110i, which is the controller that you enable in BIOS when you set the disk controller option to RAID.

So, if you use the branded ROK media and you enable the RAID option in BIOS, the media doesn't recognise the hardware as HP and block the installation.

The problem is that here in Italy the 2008 R2 Foundation is sold ONLY in ROK version, so i have no chance to install a no-branded FOUNDATION media.

So, i decided to make a software raid in win2k8 and everithing worked fine. (tested)

I hope they are going to develop a new media with the correct HW information in future.

HTH,
Cheers

Luca
Anuar Obreg├│n
Frequent Advisor

Hi Luca,

I found a way to make windows server 2008 foundation work in my ML110 G6.

Use Easy Setup CD ver 2.30, select Retail Windows Small Business Server 2008 x64 as operating system.

Ignore memory size error.

Follow all instructions and thats all.

The problem here is that there├В┬┤s no Windows Small Business Server 2008 R2 on the list.

Best regards.
Luca Sampietro
Occasional Advisor

I've tried to use MANY different version of operating system listed in the Easy setup, and no one let me to install 2008 Foundation. It always asked for a correct media....
Anuar Obreg├│n
Frequent Advisor

The trick is to select a different Operating system.

In this case Windows 2008 X64 Small Business Server to install Windows server 2008 foundation.

I made it using Easy setup CD ver 2.30.

It does NOT work on windows server R2 foundation.
Anuar Obreg├│n
Frequent Advisor

Hi guys, I just made windows foundation to work on a ML110 G6 server with a RAID 1 array.

There are two ways to do it

Before installing:
Upgrade your BIOS version (only if you are using RAID)

The first way is to use an external DVDROM to install plain windows foundation server.
You will need to add array drivers manually.

The second one has the next steps:
1 - Boot with easy setup CD
2 - Select HP Branded windows server 2008 R2 standard.
3 - When prompted for operating system disk, turn off your server.
4 - Reboot with no operating system disk on the server.
5 - You'll get an error of an unatended installation file, press OK.
6 - Using command prompt go to DVD (d:) and execute WS2008_setup.exe
7 - Continue normal installation.
8 - Enjoy