1748032 Members
4751 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ml110 G7 Fan speed.

rob-meh
Advisor

Ml110 G7 Fan speed.

I recently piurchased a Ml110 G7 server and am really pleased with the build quality.

I have come across a slight issue though.. The fan speeds it constantly running at 50% and there really is no need for it to be that high.

I nstalled ESXI 5 on the server and installed this to a 2.5" drive (there are currently no drives in the bays) and it works fine.

When I first turned the server the fans were fine and I could barley hear it.  After a day or two I noticed they had increaded in speed and noise.

I then did a bit more digging and installed the HP Esxi offline bundle and after a restart the fans returned to normal but again after a day or two that have increased in speed again.

A restart does not lower them and they start at 50% speed.

ESXI reports: Fan 1 @ 55%, Fan 7 @ 50% & Fan 8 @ 10%

When all is running good fan 7 is @ 30% , fan 7 at 30% and fan 8 @ 10%.

Is there anyway to constantly set the fans at these speeds? Or what could be causing this?

Rob

66 REPLIES 66
MrBungle72
Occasional Advisor

Have you applied the lastest firmware for both mobo and iLO?

rob-meh
Advisor

I do believe the latest firmware in on the Mobo yes.

But the server does not have the Ilo port. I believe the software is present but disabled as the port was an extra that didnt come with the server. Am I correct in thinking this or do I need to update it anyway?

Rob

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The server has iLo 3. It's a good idea to check/update the FW. Do you have some PCI cards installed in the server?

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
rob-meh
Advisor

I ran the proliant service pack and it found two updates that needed doing.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodNameId=5075943&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1334092258ca493c8183b739c0

After a restart this made no difference. I then accidentally hit f5 on start up and it took me to the Ilo3 bit.. As I don't use this I decided to disable it. Instantly the fans dropped to the correct speeds.

I then went out for an hour or two and when I returned the fans were back running far too loud.

This is really annoying when they run normally its a perfect server.

Anymore ideas?

Rob

NickMartin
Advisor

I'm getting the same problem. Lots of advice on this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ML110-G7-Strange-fan-behavior/td-p/5351827#.UCpXU6BQLTo

See if any of those help. None worked for me :o(

Nick

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

iLO manages the overall system health monitoring and status. it talks to System BIOS and other components on the MB to get the status of each device.

So please enable the iLO and check the firmware version and update it to the latest if available.

Please let me know if it makes any difference.

How to say thanks, Click on STAR Kudo

thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

rob-meh
Advisor

The Ilo firmware is up to date acceptors to the proliant service pack which was released in June.

I will re-enable Ilo tonight and see if it makes any difference which I doubt it will as it was enabled before.

I also don't have an Ilo port on the server. I believe its just the software that is installed on the server.

If I bought the Ilo port would it help? / give me more options on fan management?

I hope we can get to the bottom of this as its ruining a really good bit of hardware.

Rob

NickMartin
Advisor

Rob,

Is this a brand new unit? Does it have two network ports on the back next to each other? If so then the one labelled '1' is your iLO port.

If you have this port and you're connected to the network via it, you can run a browser on a PC on the network, and access the iLO on the server via the IP address in the iLO config using the user name and password printed on the label on the back of the machine.

Nick

NickMartin
Advisor

... and no, it doesn't give the option of fan management, it just supplies the info you already have. Fan managemnt is automatic.

Nick