1753797 Members
7380 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ml110 G7 Fan speed.

James3020
Occasional Visitor

For those with this issue, does your temperature sensor 6, labelled "HD Max", show a constant 50 degrees C?

It looks like when non HP drives are used, the temperature of the hard drives is assumed to be a constant 50 degrees - in reality, especially for SSDs, run much cooler.

The fans are then being driven harder as a result of this assumption.

Any ideas how to override this?

PaulSeales

Has anyone managed to solve this yet?  

GarethCamp23
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have just fitted the dedicated iLO port into my ML110 G7 and have found that Fan 8 is now only operating at 10%!!!!

I don't know if this is as a result of having to remove and re-install the fan to fit the iLO port or as a result of the dedicated iLO now being fitted, but I'm pretty sure I disconnected and re-fitted the fan before with no joy, so I thought I would post my findings, for the ┬г25 the dedicated port cost me I will be more than happy if this allows me to use this server @ home 24x7 (it was too noisy before and was only turned on when required)

Regards,

Gareth 

rob-meh
Advisor

Hi Garath,

Could you post the exact expansion bit you used for the dedicated Ilo port?

As you say for ┬г25 I will try this.. I tired everything else.

Its been switched off over the summer now as it was in a warm ish room. It was loud to start with and when it got warmer it was unbelievably load so I just switched it off.

Thanks.

Rob

GarethCamp23
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,

This is where I bought it from:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400566815481

Alternatively, I believe the HP part number is:

514206-B21

I've had the server running all day today and it's still only running at 10%.

Regards,

Gareth

GarethCamp23
Occasional Advisor

Just to add, I've put my HDMI GPU in and the fan speed shot back up to 40%, with the card removed its back down to 10% so this may not be a solution for everyone, mine is now running non-standard HDDs and memory, no additional slot in cards, but with the dedicated iLO its running fan 8 (the troublesome one) at 10%.

Ol4Ma
Occasional Advisor

Any PCIe card makes the BIOS jump from 10% to 39% for the PCI-e fan 8.

You can slow down that fan with some fan controller (cut the 4 cables and insert it in between) (thermaltake, papst and arctic have surely some) or you can buy a different fan that has a lower 100% speed, therefore its 40% will also be lower :) (but you have to cut the fan cables anyway, since the original ones are non-standard).