ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748214 Members
3227 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ml110 G7 and E3-1240 v2 Xeon CPU - unsupported?

The_Reverend
Occasional Contributor

Ml110 G7 and E3-1240 v2 Xeon CPU - unsupported?

Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone may be to help with a server/CPU compatibility issue.

I've bought a HP ML110 G7 with the G840 CPU with the intention of putting 32 GB of KTH-PL313E/8G RAM into it. I bought an E3-1240 v2 Xeon CPU to support the 32 GB RAM.

Over this weekend, before I changed the CPU, I fired up the server for the first time to make sure everything was ok and it booted without problem. I then swapped the processor and the server would not boot. It was getting stuck at the initial 'Power and Thermal Calibration in Progress' screen.

I put the G840 back in and updated all firmware including iLO to the latest revisions. I also updated to the latest BIOS. Then I swapped the CPUs again but had the same issue as before. I tried clearing the BIOS using both dip switch and removing the battery methods. Still no joy.

EDIT:
As I'm writing this, I've been doing a bit of Googling and I suspect that I've done something fairly moronic in buying the E3-1240 v2 - it's not on the CPU compatibility list for the ML110 G7, the E3-1240 is!  I've just lashed out £200 on a CPU that I can't use.

I suppose my question now is, does anyone (help HP Support!) know if I can disable/change any CPU or Power settings in the BIOS to allow the E3-1240 v2 to work OR might there be plans in the pipeline to support the CPU with a future BIOS revision. Otherwise, I'm down £200. I'd be eternally grateful if anyone has any ideas. In the meantime I'm off to kick myself severely...

Thanks in advance for any ideas

4 REPLIES 4
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Can You pls check the new CPU with hp labeled dimms?

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
The_Reverend
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The original 2 GB of RAM that comes with the server is HP branded and I've already tried the CPU with it. I still get stuck at the 'Power and Thermal...' screen :(

Paul

kimata
Occasional Visitor

Hi.

I accessed the BIOS, and succeded in booting IvyBridge on on LM110 G7.

http://green-rabbit.sakura.ne.jp/blog/2013/02/21/3745/

(in japanese)

dclive

The Japanese link is no longer viable - can you share a link that works in 2016, in English, on how to use Ivy Bridge on an HP ML110 G7?