1753937 Members
9485 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ml150 G2 RAID 5 Arrays

SOLVED
Go to solution

Just tried to order via the HP Parts website, and it went away and timed out .

I'll try a local reseller and see what happens.

Julian

The site has now accepted the order, so I will see what happens now.

Julian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Julian,

Please update the call if possible and let us all know how things turned out.

That's certainly a MUCH cheaper option than purchasing the HP disks. Good luck.

Brian

HP have accepted the order electronically, so it should now just be a matter of waiting. Will let you know what happens.

Rgds

Julian

Update:

My drive carriers just arrived - 12 of them rather than 6. They look to be the right thing, but the order appears to have been processed twice.

I will update the thread finally when I have done the things I have to do and had time to experiment some more.

Julian

The drive carriers mentioned above from HP work successfully, and the hard disk LEDs work. Overall, easy to install. The only thing not tested is hot swap, but there is no reason why this should fail.

Julian

This is what I did to install third party hard disks in a Proliant ML150 G2. Note that I used SATA drives, but I think the approach SHOULD work for SCSI also.

Order part number 373211-001 direct from HP online. More detail in the thread above, but I had problems with HP phone ordering due to the unusual order. I ordered directly at a cost of ├В┬г9.00 per carrier including delivery but not VAT, and they arrived within 10 days from Holland. I am in the UK.

Use hard disks of your choice. I used Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300Gb drives. The HP system drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80Gb. Make sure you are comparing like with like - the Diamond Max 10 drives I used are not in the same league as the Diamond Max 9 drives, and would therefore be cheaper. You need to make a decision based on the workload of your server. I went for desktop level drives as my use is as an image server and potentially an editing workstation.

Actually fitting the drives in the carriers is a piece of cake.

I suggest that you check your warrantly position before taking this course of action.

Thank-you to everyone who advised me on this thread.

Regards

Julian Doncaster
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Good for you Julian.

Regards,

Brian

OK. Now closing this thread.

Julian

This is what I did to install third party hard disks in a Proliant ML150 G2. Note that I used SATA drives, but I think the approach SHOULD work for SCSI also.

Order part number 373211-001 direct from HP online. More detail in the thread above, but I had problems with HP phone ordering due to the unusual order. I ordered directly at a cost of ├В┬г9.00 per carrier including delivery but not VAT, and they arrived within 10 days from Holland. I am in the UK.

Use hard disks of your choice. I used Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300Gb drives. The HP system drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80Gb. Make sure you are comparing like with like - the Diamond Max 10 drives I used are not in the same league as the Diamond Max 9 drives, and would therefore be cheaper. You need to make a decision based on the workload of your server. I went for desktop level drives as my use is as an image server and potentially an editing workstation.

Actually fitting the drives in the carriers is a piece of cake.

I suggest that you check your warrantly position before taking this course of action.

Thank-you to everyone who advised me on this thread.

Regards

Julian Doncaster