Re: Ml350 G5 - DVD disappears in Windows

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kensy2
Frequent Advisor

oh sorry

found it ;-)

NOTE: Please note that some of the earlier BTO models may not support adding SATA Optical Drives. To ensure compatibility of the SATA Optical Drives, please add additional optical drives only on models with Quad-Core 5400 Series processors.

but mine came with that
Andy14

Hi Kensy
Could you check the Device Manager and let me know if there is an "Adaptec SATA HOST RAID Controller" listed, under the SCSI/RAID controllers?

If it is listed, we can try a force install of the IDE drivers.
Kensy2
Frequent Advisor

thanks

if that's a SATA DVD what IDE has to do with that?

yes it says "Adaptec SATA HOST RAID Controller"

thanks
Andy14

Hi Kensy
I suppose the DVD drive works fine before the OS loads, and there should be no issues booting from the DVD drive. However, the drive would disappear in Windows ONLY.

If that is the case, try the following steps:
Go to Device Manager - Right click 'Adaptec HOST RAID SATA Controller', select Update Driver - Install driver manually - Select Do not search, I'll choose the location - From the list of compatible devices, select PCI IDE Device and install the drivers.

Let me know if that helps.
BTW, we are trying to install the IDE drivers (native to the OS), to isolate an issue with the SATA interface of the optical drive.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Andy

can we talk?

karlo.chacon@hp.com
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Paco73

Hy guys,

I've got exactly the same problem on the same server type/model/os and firmware, with the difference that the DVD is totally invisible in the device manager and in the Hp sys management utility.

I confirm that the issue verifies ONLY if I reboot the server from Windows. Instead on each shut down and powerup the DVD is present again.

Firmware upgrade and microsoft patch didn't work for me.

Please help me 'cause my customer is a little worry about this trouble.

many thanks in advance
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what if you give a try to andy's recommendation

If that is the case, try the following steps:
Go to Device Manager - Right click 'Adaptec HOST RAID SATA Controller', select Update Driver - Install driver manually - Select Do not search, I'll choose the location - From the list of compatible devices, select PCI IDE Device and install the drivers.

bye

by the way I've seen in W2003 as well as W2008
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Glenn Reed

My company is now on our sixth ML350 G5 exhibiting this behavior.

We can replicate it at will by doing a hard shutdown, power on and go into setup and change anything you like, exit from setup and let the machine reboot. If there is a bootable CD in the drive, it will not be seen, and the boot process will skip over and go to the OS.

We have this on servers with the January 08 BIOS, the August BIOS and the latest BIOS released in October.

Calling Tech support is not proving productive.
BDB-Too

Apparently it's not just Windows... and I thought it was just us...

We've configured 10 ML350G5 servers since sometime in July that have had the SATA DVD drives installed (previous G5s were IDE?).

We are running SCO 6 and can duplicate the problem if we mount a CD in the drive, read it, and reboot the server.

SCO6 automatically configures devices upon boot but the device will not come back until the CD is removed and the server is powered off and back on again.
Brad Schultz

Not a fix, but a work around.

Open device manager
Look for Serial ATA Raid Driver
Right Click
Update Driver
Select I will Choose
Manual
Next
From Two Options select Standard.

This means the DVD will work slower but will get you out of trouble!

Spent another two hours on the phone to HP and they dont have a clue about how bad this issue is nor will they accept what needs to be done, their best answer was "we will send out a replacement motherboard" even though we have four servers on our workbench today all with exactly the same problem.

Nice work HP!