ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752806 Members
5650 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ml350p G8 - Upgrading from Server O/S W2012 -> W2016: Fans runs at higher speed...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uky
Occasional Visitor

Ml350p G8 - Upgrading from Server O/S W2012 -> W2016: Fans runs at higher speed...

When upgrading the server operating system from (Windows) Server 2012 to 2016 (Standard with GUI) the upgrade went well and after installing the updated drivers from the support pack, there was no yellow "Dangs" in the device manager tree.

But

Prior to O/S load, the fans runs at (very) high speed as expected, but the low "living-room" noise level of the 2012 version is no more.  The fans now don't run at highest speed, but at a speed and noise level significantly higher than that of the 2012 version. No changes to the BIOS settings has been done. No changes in the iLO has been done.

I cannot find any detailed setting in the 2016 versions. Also there are no indications that the temperature is high. The highest recorded is for the chipset; +40 C. All others are at room temperature, +20-25 C. All sensors check-out "green".

I know that this is a retired product. I can of course go back to 2012 - the system is non-critical and does not have any vital application running.

What say the expertise ?

2 REPLIES 2
Uky
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Ml350p G8 - Upgrading from Server O/S W2012 -> W2016: Fans runs at higher speed...

Well - There is a penalty for trying to use non-HP/HPE-disks. Trying to use commercial SATA SSD's in the SFF array cage was obviously not accepted by the server hardware. Using it as stand-alone "C:\" connected to the SATA interface configured for AHCI went well. Trying to use SSD's in the SFF cage for data storage did not.

The O/S recognized the disk. There was no error messages. Everything performed OK - except for the fan controller which appearently missed some diagnostic feedback from the array cage.

Restored the mechanical disks in the SFF cage and the fan noise level went back to "Living Room" level...

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please let us know if you have any queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo