108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring fan speed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ray Van Dolson
Advisor

Monitoring fan speed?

I'm trying to monitor fan speed on my DL360. I'm running on RHES3 and have installed the hpasm and hpdiags RPM's... I can access the status page but can't find anything about fan speed.

Under the HP Insight Diagnostics if I choose "Miscellaneous" and scroll down I see the claim that the "Health driver not available". Is this my problem perhaps? Which RPM do I need to download & install to fix this?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Ray,

You really should install the entire Proliant Support Pack instead of picking and choosing individual drivers. However, I don't know that there is anything on the System Homepage which shows the actual speed of the fan. It will tell you the status of the fans and temperature sensors, but not the actual speed.

Good luck,
- Steve
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Steve is correct; you can end up with a mish-mosh of stuff that doesn't intercommunicate very well by applying individual modules. Use the entire PSP and it will determine what is needed to be installed on the system and will do it in the right order.

The actual speed of the fan is irrelevant because you would have to know and correlate the normal fan speed for each individual fan in each individual zone in each individual server model. The health daemon (hpasm) knows that information and can report temperature and condition for you. This information is displayed under Environment on the Insight agent's "System Management Home Page" or can be queried at the Linux command line with the /sbin/hplog utility. On a DL360G2 in my office, 'hplog -t -f' provides the following:

ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS CURRENT THRESHOLD
1 ADM1022 Processor Zone Nominal 89F/ 32C 138F/ 59C
2 ADM1022 I/O Zone Nominal 95F/ 35C 154F/ 68C
3 ADM1022 CPU (1) Nominal 118F/ 48C 163F/ 73C
4 ADM1022 CPU (2) Absent ---F/---C ---F/---C

ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS REDUNDANT FAN SPEED
1 Var. Speed Processor Zone Nominal N/A High (100)
2 Basic Fan Pwr. Supply Bay Nominal N/A -------