5493 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Monitoring thermal and fans

Kiker
Occasional Advisor

Monitoring thermal and fans

Hi world
I have a Proliant DL380 G4 with MS Server 2008 X64 Standard SP2 installed, and I need to read CPU temperature sensors and fan's speeds. I don't need to make complicated reports, nor send readout emails, nor remotely test my server. I just want to know the CPU temperature, locally, just like Linux HP-Health does. I've installed SNMP service (and configured traps and security) , Insight Management Agent, Proliant Support Pack... I've checked WMI and wBEM... nothing seems to work. The System Management Homepage keeps telling me a question mark on temperature reading:

HP SMH System.png

No sign of fan status.

Please, point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Kiker

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

If you have any ! mark in SMH, do install ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions.

I am not sure if G4 server has any ability to show CPU temperature.

You may use the Intel Utility to check the temperature.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Kiker
Occasional Advisor

Hi Suman

Thanks for suggesting Intel CPU testing tool (IPDT). Unfortunatelly, this tool tells me that CPU temperature cannot be tested:

--- Temperature Test ---

Executing Temperature ...
Temperature not supported.

Wich is very odd, because I DID monitor CPU temperature and fan speeds in this server, when it had Debian and HP-Health tools installed.

I've found this link where states how to change SMH data source between SNMP and WBEM. 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03783196

Guess what? I don't have option to select SNMP in my SMH. This leads me to think that I should check/reinstall Insight Agents.

I'll come back with results.

Kiker

Kiker
Occasional Advisor

Hi all

Solved! As I suspected, the problem was the Insight Agents. After reinstalling Insight Management Agents, I could change SMH data source to SNMP, and all temperature and cooling data came to me :))

I hope this helps to others too.

kiker