cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than one drive in cage won't boot!

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

More than one drive in cage won't boot!

I seem to be having a hardware issue with the drive cage accepting more than one hard drive at a time. I have been using 199598-001 and had FLAWLESS performance. Then, I took the machine down b/c I did not need it for a while, and, now when I try to add more than one drive to the cage, the SECOND drive only makes hard clicking sounds and though shows up in the SCSI scan, times out the machine to where it won't boot, and, if it DOES boot, the timeouts on the second SCSI make the OS inoperable!! When I use ONLY ONE drive in the cage, the machine is FLAWLESS! I need another drive though for mirror/redundance (that's the MINIMUM I can live with ;-). Ever heard of this ... am I being clear on what's happening?! Thanks, TT
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: More than one drive in cage won't boot!

Did you run the Compaq system configuration program and save the new hardware configuration of the system to CMOS? As soon as you add the 2nd hard drive, you must boot the system with the system configuration disk and verify that both hard drives are showing up in the BIOS. Then save the new hardware configuration to CMOS. If the 2nd drive does not show up, you have a SCSI cable or SCSI bus termination problem. This could include a bad back plane on the drive cage. Also verify that the model and part number of the 2nd drive is compatible with the system you are installing it into. What is the Compaq 9 digit spare part number that is on the drive that is being added?

You can download and make the system configuration disks from this web address.
http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9180.html