4961 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Most recent BIOS for Proliant 5500

Brian_317
Occasional Contributor

Most recent BIOS for Proliant 5500

Hello list,

I have only been able to find BIOS P12, dated 11/08/2000 as the most recent BIOS for our Proliant 5500 with dual PIII-500 XEON's.

This is the BIOS version currently installed in the server.

Can anyone verify this is the most recent BIOS version available for this server, and where a newer version may be available?

Thanks for your time,

Brian
5 REPLIES 5
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Most recent BIOS for Proliant 5500

Hi Brian

I found the latest one to be 17Jan, 02. Click on the following link:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/2598.html

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Brian_317
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

The bios on the page you quoted is "version 2000.11.08 B", and "version 2000.11.08 A" is in the server currently.

The only changes between BIOS versions seem to be:

Online Flash Engine
* Enhanced flash engine to remove requirement for a system partition on the target server.

It seems this BIOS specific is only upgradeable on Windows systems right now.

I took the bios files, and copied them onto the BIOS flash boot disk, and flashed the BIOS that way though. The version number on the BIOS is still "version 2000.11.08", with no "B" shown on the boot screen or the survey utility.

Is there another way to get this BIOS into the server, and should it show the "B" indicating the newer version?

Brian
Eelco Kos
Advisor

Hi Brian,

I recently updated the BIOS of all our servers to the latest version and for the 5500, P12 11/08/2000 was the most recent I could find.

I checked the version of the BIOS with the output of the survey utility and it mentions P12 11/08/2000 but not an A or B character.

By the way, I did all updates online with the Remote ROM Flash Utility, saves you some time and a reboot.

Good luck!
Eelco
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian,

I doubt you would see "A" or "B" after the BIOS date. I ran into the same when I upgraded the RILOE FW, although the firmware upgrade was successful, "A" or "B" were not specified.

Could you confirm that flash programming was successful tho? If it was, I would not worry about "A" or "B".I believe it is an indication that it is not a major BIOS upgrade as you well figured out the sole difference between the two versions. No performance enhancements or bug fixes.

Hope it helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,

Brian_317
Occasional Contributor

The flash program confirmed programming was successful.

It is unfortunate the proper BIOS version is not being displayed.

Thnaks for the help.