5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Move Mirrored drive set to new server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Bender

Move Mirrored drive set to new server

I have 2 HP servers. Different models and different SCSI controllers. Smart Array 6i and Smart Array 641. I want to move a mirrored set which is my D: drive (NOT a boot or system partition) to another HP server. These servers both already have Windows server 2003 on them. Is it possible for me to just pull the 2 drives of the mirror out of the first HP server and plug them into the 2nd HP server? If so, what will need to be done to make it usable in the 2nd? We are worried about losing our data and we do not have the resources to back up that much data.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Move Mirrored drive set to new server

>>> We are worried about losing our data

I would be worried also.

>>> and we do not have the resources to back up that much data.

Then, I will suggest you to not to continue with your plan. You must always have a good backup of your data when doing this kind of jobs.

>>> I want to move a mirrored set which is my D: drive

If it's mirrored, then you can remove just one disk and test if everything is working correctly. You don't need to do both disks at a time.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Keith Bender

UPDATE:

I did it anyway, even though HP said it wouldn't work. I had copied all my data to an IDE drive, so i was able to test my Arrays.

I pulled them out of the old server and plugged them into the new server. When I booted the new server up, it saw the arrays and auto-updated the config. It pulled them in just fine. Mirror was still intact and all data was there.
Keith Bender

Mirrored drives moved to new server just fine without data loss.