5682 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Move array and controller to hew hardware

paulit1
Collector

Move array and controller to hew hardware

Hello,

This has been asked before and there is conflicting information with differing set ups, so thought I would perhaps try asking my exact question and seeing what the response is.

My final remaining legacy server and array is in need of replacement, the server has become unstable and in short is just too old to run any longer.  

The old set up is as follows:

Server, Proliant DL380 G5, Windows 2012 R2, P812 controller connected to an MSA60 array RAID 6 via SAS cable (no comments on this please!).  Of course, all data on the array is backed up to a NAS on the network and tape off the network.

As said, the server is unstable and the array is just old, but while waiting for a replacement enclosure (5 to 7 days lead time) that will have the data from the MSA60 restored to, I need to keep the MSA60 running on the new server which is already set up, but is not in production yet.

The new set up is as follows:

Server, Proliant DL180 Gen9, Windows 2012 R2, controllers are different, P440 and P441.

My questions is:

Can I shut down the existing MSA60, remove the P812 controller from the old server, install the P812 controller in the new server, connect the MSA60 to the new server, and have the data on the MSA60 remain as it is?

I know all the in's and out's of copying the file shares and NTFS permissions to the new server OS and have done this in the past many times during migrations.  

All I really need to know is, will the MSA60 data be OK with this type of a move, taking the enclosure, cabling, controller and drives as they are, to new different server hardware.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Move array and controller to hew hardware

Worth to try, but controller and shelf are not supported by the new server.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
paulit1
Collector

Thanks Torsten, this was another factor in the decision to try it or not.

Let's say I do give it a go and for some reason it doesn't work, maybe the old P812 controller wont work in the new DL180 server, or the MSA60 is not recognised at all on the new server.

In your opinion, when I move the controller and MSA60 back to the old failing server (as it was prior to the attempted move), will the data will remain on the MSA60 as it was before?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Keep in mind it is not supported.

Try to move only the controller to the new server first and check if this is working.

If it does, power down and connect the disks. All configuration data is on the disks, as long as you move all disks in the correct order it will stay there.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
paulit1
Collector

Thanks.