cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move array between server

Jason16
Occasional Visitor

Move array between server

I have a pair of ML350G2's, both are equipped with a Smart Array 532 Controller. I am chasing a chronic BSOD on one of the 2 servers that I am certain is hardware related.

The server that is crashing is MUCH more mission critical so in an effort to get stability to the server that needs it while I isolate the issue with the hardware I decided that I want to swap the two servers, that is simply move the array's from server A to server B and vice versa.

The array configuration between the two servers is different, any suggestions on accomplishing this?

My thought was to
1) Just try swapping them and see what happens, I am expecting tons of drive changed places type messages from this.

or

2) Pull the drives, syserase each server and then swap the drives from server to server.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Move array between server

Jason:

The Array Configuration is stored on the Hard Drives themselves. Just moving the drives should do the trick. You may get some id changes reported upon POST, but the Smart Array shold see all the drives and re-configure based on the config stored on the drives.

2. Don't bother with syserase. Should not be needed.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jason16
Occasional Visitor

Steven:

So I should just be able to power down and swap the physical drives? That would be excellent!

Jason
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes.

The question you have to ask yourself....

Do you think the reason for the chronic BSOD is hardware related or software related?

If it is software related.... you will know probably instantly since the "good" server will begin to crash.

If you think it is software related, or feel really strong that it is software related, then swappig roles is probably not the best course of action since if it is software related, your ""mission critical" services will still be intermittent.

Your call. I would try to do some memory checks first, and other hardware/software trouble shooting, unless you have already exhausted those options.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jason16
Occasional Visitor

Steven:
Fairly sure that it is hardware related. I have already swapped all easy to move hardware (ram, NIC's etc) and all thats really left is the system board (and array controller). It just makes sense to move the drives between the servers rather than tearing down to swap the mobo/system board.

And I guess in the event that it is software (I hope not) I will know, since ALL hardware will have been swapped :-)

I just hope the drive "switch" goes smooth!

If anyone else has suggesestions, horror stories or success stories I am all ears!