108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move disks and PROC to another server

GGrega
Advisor

Move disks and PROC to another server

Hello!

We have 2 servers DL 380 G5.

In one is 8 disks (RAID 0+1), Smart Array P400 2 3.0 GHz Dual core Xenons and 14 GB of RAM...

In second is one Dual core Xenon 2,33 GHz, 8GB of RAM and Smart Array P400 with 6 disks RAID 0+1...

Now I want to move 8 disks and both processors to second server (because I have a faulty mobo on first server)...

Can there be any problems at all? I have to insert disks into new server in same order I took them out, I know this, so that P400 will regenerate arrays, right? What about channels connected to backplane? They have to be in same order or not?

What about processors, can there be problems? I suppose it easy as take them out, take PPMs out and install them all in server number 2...

Thanks for suggestions and tips!
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes just move parts to the other server .
and yes it good idea to have for the storage system same configuration, HDDs order and cables

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

HEllo GGrega,

U are bang on target what u r thinking is correct just do what u have mentioned and ideally it should work but is still recommend a complete data backup before u do it if possible and i dont think the channels connected to backplane should matter much and regards to procs just do what u have mentioned.

And if i would have been in ur place would have done the same ur thinking is correct and pls let us know the status for the same so if required we can help u.

Thanks regards
Sammy :)
GGrega
Advisor

Thanks guys!

I will keep you informed about this case, will migrate in about 8 hours :)
GGrega
Advisor

Postponed till friady :)