ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753492 Members
5191 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving 1 logical drive from 1 proliant to another.

Mark White_7
Occasional Contributor

Moving 1 logical drive from 1 proliant to another.

If i was to take my 4 X 146GB RAID 5 Array running in my G3 Dual Xeon 3.06GHZ Processour 3GB RAM with the 642 smart array contoller and place the drives in my G2 Pentium III 1.2GHZ 512MB RAM using a 5i smart array controller,
would the system see my logical drive and boot up? The system is running Win 2003 Standard.
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,
This is not a supported configuration. The only way you would be able to boot in the destination server would be to bring the Array controller i.e. SA642 alongwith the HDDs. Just make sure that you have a full backup of the data just in case the move does not work.

Regards,
Mark White_7
Occasional Contributor

If all i have left is my 4 drives, does that mean a re-create/restore in the G2?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,
If all is left are the 4 hdds then it would be better to reload the OS and then restore the data since you would get a BSOD once the drivers of 5i are not found in the destination server.

Regards,
Mark White_7
Occasional Contributor

Let me clarify that. The 5i is my destination array controller in the G2.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mark,
Rule of thumb is that you can go forward which means if you want to go from a 5 Series controller to 6 series that is possible by configuring the new controller first. In your case you are basically downgrading to 5i. The best way would be to make a backup of your data. Configure your system with the 5i and then restore.

Regards,
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

Besides everything Sunil has mentioned, you've also got the issue of there being totally different hardware on the dest. machine. Windows doesn't like that big of a change all of a sudden and you'll almost certainly get a BSOD. Other than they're both HP/Compaq servers (I'm assuming), there's nothing the same about the 2 machines you're describing.

If you'd like to risk it, you'll need to at least get another 642 card so the array itself will be happy.

Good luck!
Seth