cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Array of harddrives from machine A to machine B

SOLVED
Go to solution

Moving Array of harddrives from machine A to machine B

Please let me know what the consequences are if I move an Array of hard drives from one machine to another. Both machines are ML530. However, the first One has SMART Array 5300 controller and the second one has SMART Array 5312 controller. I have built the array on the first machine but want to move it to second machine. If I can just insert the array of drives into the second machine will the array controller recognize these drives without reconfiguring the array?
3 REPLIES
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Moving Array of harddrives from machine A to machine B

Hi Mark Daugherty,

The steps you are performing is right. To ensure that there is no confusion of updating the RIS info from the controller or from the HDD. Follow the steps below:

1. Turn off the server 1, remove all the hdds.

2. Boot from Smart Start CD on Server 2 and run the System Erase utility.

3. Turn of the Server 2, insert all the hdds and restart the server 2.

Once the server boots it will give you F1, F2 options where it will ask you to select the option to load the RIS from Hdd to array controller. Select the option and server 2 will boot up and work fine.

Regards,
Raj.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Since the drivers are the same between (5300 and 5302) youc an just move teh drives without loosing anything.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mark:

All Smart array controller can usually read the Array Configuration right from the drives since it is stored there for easy movement.

You can simply just put the array into prett much any server (that has enough slots) and the array should come online with little effort.

The only instance where you may run into an issue is if you are booting off of the array. In this case, you need to make sure you have the proper registry entries for the array controller in the "b" machine otherwise you may get a BSoD.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)