ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753852 Members
8405 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Hard Disk from DL320 G5 to DL320 G5P

paul08

Moving Hard Disk from DL320 G5 to DL320 G5P

I have Windows 2003 R2 setup on a Raid 1 with the DL320 G5 chassis.

Now I am replacing the DL320 G5 with the DL320 G5P model.

I am also moving the same hard drives from G5 to G5P. When I start the G5P, during boot the existing RAID 1 is detected and status is optimal.
(I have already enabled Embedded SATA RAID in BIOS)

However, Windows 2003 refuses to load, due to what I believe to be different Raid controller drivers. G5 uses ICH7 and G5P uses ICH9R chipset... DOH!

The G5P needs hpcisss2.sys loaded as a system device driver. G5 does not use this at all so windows has no clue what hit it.

So, my question is what is the quickest and best way to make windows auto detect this driver on bootup? As I do not see any other problems...

Thank You
paul
6 REPLIES 6
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Call hp and ask for essentials team, P2P team (physical to proliant)

Regards,
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what if you try a windows repair operation

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

you need to copy the raid driver to the bootdisk and rename it to ntbootdd.sys.

see microsoft to create a windows 2003 bootdisk using ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini etc...

the system probably has no floppy drive anymore, so you'll have to try this using an usb-drive key.

If the old system does not need its own driver as ntbootdd.sys to boot, put the disks in the old system, boot, copy the driver to the root of the disk as ntbootdd.sys, and move the disks to the new system.
paul08

I am using a USB floppy drive, which works very well...

I will try the bootdisk method you mentioned... I am not entirely clear as to what you want me to do, but I will give it a try.

Thank You,
paul
paul08

I tried the bootdisk method you mentioned, didn't work.

It seems that ntbootdd.sys is used for system where the boot.ini has a scsi().. boot disk.

For my case, I am using SATA which are classified as multi()..

Still gets stuck... I will probably use a repair install / or rebuild the OS...

Thanks For all the ideas. And keep 'em coming if there are other ways.
Paul
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

boot.ini just presents some partitions to boot from.
you can add lines with different disk0, disk1, multi(0) multi(1), scs(0), scsi(1).
give each option a different name and select try them one by one

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=" Windows 1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=" Windows 2" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT=" Windows 3" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=" Windows 4" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=" Windows 5" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT=" Windows 6" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT=" Windows 7" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect