cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving RAID 10 array from a DL380 G6 to a DL380 G7

EyesofThunder
Occasional Visitor

Moving RAID 10 array from a DL380 G6 to a DL380 G7

I have a server that I would like to move the RAID from one server to another so I can retire the G6.  

For the most part, the data on the storage part of the array fine (RAID 10, 6 x 1.2TB), if It got lost, there is little on it.  But I would prefer to keep the OS alive drives (2 drives in RAID 1), it was set up as a backup windows 2012 R2 domain controller that is slated to go to a remote site.

If I keep the order of the drives, it is relatively "safe"?  Can I bring up the OS drives in first and then power down and put the rest of the drives in next?

1 REPLY
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Moving RAID 10 array from a DL380 G6 to a DL380 G7

Yes you can move the drives from one server to another. Keeping the drives in the proper order is a good idea. If you bring up the OS drives first you will get an error about the missing array.  Make sure the new server has the latest version of Smart Array firmware, or at least newer than what is on the system being replaced. The RAID information is not stored on the controller, it is stored in what is known as the RIS area on each hard drive connected to the controller

Standard disclaimer: whenever working with drives, make sure you have a valid backup.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!