New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving SCSI hard drive to another Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Bayliss
Frequent Advisor

Moving SCSI hard drive to another Controller

Hey Everyone,

We just bought a DL 380 G4 with 3x 146GB HDD.
It has two Controllers:
1. Embedded HP Smart Array 6i
2. PCI HP Smart Array 642

One hard drive has been configured/connected to the Embedded HP Smart Array while the other two drives are configured/connected to the PCI HP Smart Array 642. How do I move the hard drive that is configured to the Embedded controller to the PCI controller so I can do RAID 5.

I appreciated anyone advice!!

Cheers,

Mark Bayliss
6 REPLIES 6
Ruslan
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Mark!

You have duplex configuration on your server. There is two channel on SCSI backplane - bay 0,1 and bay 2,3,4,5. You can move all disks to "second" area without any hardware reconfiguration. The other way is to change duplex configuration to simplex and connect SCSI backplane to one of the existing controllers - remove SA642 connect to SA6i or disable SA6i and connect to SA642...
Mark Bayliss
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

Everything is now working like a charm!!

Mark
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mark:

It would be great if you could indicate what your solution was, maybe even assign some points to Ruslan if he has helped in any way. Don't forget to close the thread as well so that...

1. When people search for solutions, they know that there was a solution that they could possibly use to help themselves out.

2. Ruslan gets some recognition, if deserved, for time and effort spent helping you out.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mark Bayliss
Frequent Advisor

I aplogize to Ruslan and Steven as I am new to these forums.

The solution was disconnect the PCI HP Smart Array 642 from the backplane then reconnect the second SCSI bus from the Embedded controller to the backplane. This is also known as Embedded Duplex SCSI cabling. I did it this way because I already had a SCSI Terminator board on the backplane. Basically the Smart Array 6i Controller supports upto 6 hard drives through two buses - one bus supports two drives and other bus supports upto 4 drives.

Again I appreicate your help Ruslan.

Mark Bayliss
Frequent Advisor

I aplogize to Ruslan and Steven as I am new to these forums.

The solution was disconnect the PCI HP Smart Array 642 from the backplane then reconnect the second SCSI bus from the Embedded controller to the backplane. This is also known as Embedded Duplex SCSI cabling. I did it this way because I already had a SCSI Terminator board on the backplane. Basically the Smart Array 6i Controller supports upto 6 hard drives through two buses - one bus supports two drives and other bus supports upto 4 drives.

Again I appreicate your help Ruslan.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mark:

No need to apologize. I was just wondering what your solution was as all you said was "thanks".

Just so you know the 6i can support 6 drives on channel 1 and another 14 on channel 2. Since you├в re in duplex mode, you├в re limited to the 2/4 as you found out.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)