6035 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Server Hardware

RobBergin
Occasional Contributor

Moving Server Hardware

Hi All,

We have a dual socket DL360 G5 with a P400 RAID and some internal disks (2 x 36 GB) and (4 x 146 GB).

We want to go to a 4 socket box - DL 580 G5 - also with a P400 RAID.

I think it can be as simple as moving the disks and the HBA to the new server (the server is SAN attached as well) but I am being asked if there can be an easier way (i.e. disk imaging or pulling 1 of the 36 GB disks and essentially moving the raid).

Can I yank the 1 of the 2 x 36 GB and pop it into the DL 580 and will it read the RAID 1 or do I need to set up a RAID 1 on a pair of 36 GB disks, yank them and replace them with the 1 disk pull from the DL380.

Also - any recommendations on the imaging side of the product line (Acronis? HP's tools? Ghost?).

Thanks,

Rob
2 REPLIES 2
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Server Hardware

> Can I yank the 1 of the 2 x 36 GB and pop it into the DL 580 and will it read the RAID 1...

Yes. Then you add a second disk to rebuild the raid1

> ...or do I need to set up a RAID 1 on a pair of 36 GB disks, yank them and replace them with the 1 disk pull from the DL380.

No need to create a raid1. If you yank both disks the original raid1 will remain as failed in the controller. The new disks will be read as a new raid1 and you will have two raid1 arrays in the 580, one failed, one partially built.

The problem you may have is in windows with hardware specific drivers for the 360 and the 580. You may have drivers that you don't need or drivers that are missing in the 580 server.
RobBergin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving Server Hardware

TTr,

Thanks - we are validating this with a similar migration between a DL360G5 and a DL380G5 (both with the P400 RAID).

We are going to try two plans - one is to yank all the disks and move them the RAID 1 Set and the RAID 5 set.

And then the other is a little safer - to break up the RAID 1 and flat file copy the contents of the RAID 5 (its just flat files).

Thanks,

Rob