ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753774 Members
7184 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving a Raid5 to another P400 Smart Array on the same Server

Linda Nairn

Moving a Raid5 to another P400 Smart Array on the same Server

I have a ML370 G5 (Win Server 2003 SP2 Std X64) with two P400 Smart Array controllers, one with 2 x SAS Disks Raid 1 (Operating System) and 6 x SAS Disks Raid 5, the other P400 Smart Array is empty.

I would like to know if I can move the Raid 5 to the other controller without any impact. ie can I power down, move disks, power up and it will automatically be recognised.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks and Regards
Linda
3 REPLIES 3
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Yes you should be able to do that. The raid info is stored on the harddrives and the controller so that shouldn't be a problem. Works fine when you move from one identical server to another so i dpn't se why you couldn't move from one array controller to another within a server.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

"Cederberg said
Yes you should be able to do that. The raid info is stored on the harddrives and the controller so that shouldn't be a problem. Works fine when you move from one identical server to another so i dpn't se why you couldn't move from one array controller to another within a serve"

The RAID information is stored in the RIS area on the hard disks, it is not stored in the controller itself. Many years ago the information was slso stored on the Smart Arrays controller but that hasn't been the case for a really long time.

So the answer is correct, you can move the drives to another controller on the same system and they will work fine. It's best to make sure both controllers are running the latest firmware before you make the switch.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Linda Nairn

Thank you all for your feedback. I will schedule the move and if any issues I will post.

Thanks Linda