108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving array from MSA1000 to DAS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Porreca_1
Occasional Advisor

Moving array from MSA1000 to DAS

I have a DL380 connected to a MSA1000 which hold a 3-disk RAID5 array. I want to move the array into the server as DAS. The server is new with a an embedded 6i controller. I shut down both the MSA1000 and server, moved the drives over and the ACU saw them as 3 unconfigured drives (it didn't recognize the array). I moved the drives back and the array works fine. What am I missing here, should I not be able to move an array just like I do between servers?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Re: Moving array from MSA1000 to DAS

Hmm... DtS is well known feature, but I never heard about vice versa operation... Is there only 3 disk drives in MSA? Do you implement Boot from SAN or there are only data files?
Tim Porreca_1
Occasional Advisor

Nothing fancy, just a 3 disk RAID5 array for data. It contains one LV as a D: drive. Could not be simpler. I was able to move arrays into the MSA1000 no problem, but the reverse is not working.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor
Solution

Unfortunately it's impossible... Look to attachment
Tim Porreca_1
Occasional Advisor

Rusian,

Thanks. I'm not sure I read that to mean it is impossible, but we did give up. I got an eval of the HP Open View Storage Mirroring s/w which allowed us to mirror our data to new drives. This was the quickest solution. I think you might be right though, it is a unpublicized issue that the migration is one-way.

Thanks again,
Tim
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Storage Mirroring is one of possible solutions (also as backup/restore, etc.). But directly you cannot take array from MSA to 6i.
You can move array between MSAs.