5007 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving array to another port

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Moving array to another port

Dear Sirs!

The array (RAID 5) in my ML-370 is connected to port 1 of Integrated Smart Array Controller. The external SCSI socket in rear of my server is also connected to port 1.

In order to connect an external SCSI device to controller, I need to move the array from Port 1 to port 2. Thus, my question is: how should I act to prevent data loss? Will the Array configuration utility determine that disks, just connected to port 2, in fact are already an array?

Thank you in advance,
Anton.
9 REPLIES 9
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Anton,
First thing you want to do is make a full backup(Very Important).Secondly, may I ask as to what are you trying to accomplish. If you are thinking of attaching a backup device to an array controller it all depends as to which controller do you have. For further assistance please call Tech Support at 1-800-OK-COMPAQ.

Regards,
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I try to connect an external Exabyte "Mammoth" Tape Drive (EXB-8900T) to my Integrated Smart Array Controller (firmware 1.46). Actually, I already did attach it to the Port 2 of my controller; but as far as the Port 2 is hidden inside the server, my SCSI cable enters there through a hole in rear of server :)

I don't want the dust to cover the inner space of my Proliant. That's why I need to move the Array to Port 2 and then connect the Tape Drive to an external socket of Port 1.

The Tape Drive works fine, and the full backup is already performed. But it's not the best idea to restore the whole system from tape; I'd better like to just move the Array to second port without re-building the array. That's the idea of my question: is it possible?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

As far as I'm located in Russia, would you please assist me here in the forum? The phone call will cost me one hell of money :(
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Anton,
You already have a SCSI connector(External) on your server. Now why you'r going in the server if it's an external device, I did not quiet understand. Please elaborate.

Regards,
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Because the external connector goes to PORT 1 of my controller.
My array IS CONNECTED there and controller fails to find both devices connected to this port.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

You cannot use a port internally as well as externally. Just move the cable for your array to Port 2 since it uses the same drive. Also make sure to run System configuration Utility and Array configuration utility to make sure system recognizes the change.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Please read the word Drive in the second line as DRIVER** Sorry for the Typo
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

OK.
But won't it destroy the data? Will the system recognize that this 3 disks are already a RAID 5?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

No it wont since both ports use the same driver.