4735 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving boot disk from DL580-G2 to DL380-G4

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

Moving boot disk from DL580-G2 to DL380-G4

Hi
Anyone know the procedure for moving a hotplug boot disk from a DL580-G2 (5i controller) to a DL380-G4 (6i controller)?
I've tried loading the latest 5i/6i driver into the disk before moving and it comes up with inaccessible boot device. SCSI port and ID match.
10 REPLIES 10
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Use a "DONOR" card SA641, 642 or 6400 Series Firstly than migrate internally, set as 6i first bootable and pull PCI out after successful boot. .... Or see few posts back in time 3-7 day's there was article how to modify file
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I belive that one

1. Load the latest RAID driver (5.62.0.32 at writing) on the source server (DL380 G3 with 5i and 2003)
2. Import the attached registry file
3. Shutdown the server and move a disk or disks to a DL380 G4.
6. Boot & You're all done!

The registry file primes the server registry with the plug and play ID of the 6i controller.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_0e11&dev_0046&subsys_40910e11]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="cpqcissm"

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

Works a treat . If only HP would build this into the driver install in some way.
Corbett Enders_1

AWESOME! I've spent about 6 hours trying to do this and was going to give up. That little registry trick (which makes sense) indeed did work. No more STOP 0x0000007b errors!

Thanks!
lukebenson2k5

Hi KOV,

A similar scenario but a bit more extreme - any help would be great. We have a unique situation where we need to migrate disks from a DL380 G1 to a DL380 G4. I followed your steps above but hit the wall when tyring to install the latest 6i driver on the G1 machine - the install package won't install the driver because it can't find a device that supports it (or something like that).

Any idea how I can manually force the installation of the driver so that it is in place when I get to the G4 (ie. a workaround to the normal install routine)? From there it will be finger crossing time, but at least this might get around the 'inaccessible_boot_device' BSODs...
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

G1 to G4 - huge jump
Use 5300 or 53x Series Universal Controller same Driver as for 64xx or 6i
Go with safe mode firstly
Architecture for G4 different from G1!
What O/S?

lukebenson2k5

Thanks for the quick response - much appreciated. I take it you mean I need to install the 53xx driver and not a 53xx controller into the server first...

It's on Win2K SP4. If I can get it up in safe mode we have a batch process for deploying just about every HP software component so it should cover off all of the required G4 drivers once it is on the G4. Even so...plan B (build a new box and cut over the name and IP) is looking more likely - we need to preserve the same IP and name for this box and the size of our AD implementation means the outage could be over 8 hours if we have to wait for AD replication....

Any thoughts?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Controller, than Driver, than registry, than try to move, to G4

One snag you have System Partition in G1, and there is no really needs to have it in G4 ????

Also what Drives in G1, you can install to G4 only U320 ?
lukebenson2k5

It was still booting OK (up until the BSOD) so I'm assuming the system partition isn't causing too many problems...I'll wait and see...

The U320 issue is a bigger problem. Currently the drives are 9GB Ultra2 7200RPM (in the G1). The G4 has no problems detecting the logical drives (and starting the boot process) so I'm hoping this problem would have been exposed by now...

Now I just have to find a 5300 controller. We should have a few lying around. I guess as long as it is installed in the G1 (even it is isn't connected to the drives) that I should be able to get the drivers installed.

The only question left is about the reg change...is it going to be the same 'cpqcissm' one as listed in your post earlier or is there a different reg entry for 5300 controllers?

Thanks again for your help.