108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving hard drives from Proliant DL380 G3 to G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ireneusz Wasiak

Moving hard drives from Proliant DL380 G3 to G4

Hello,

Lately we bought some spare DL380 G4 (majority of our servers is DL380 G4, but we still have a few G3) and we would like to use them also as possible backup/failover hardware.

Basically if there would be any problem with server itself we would like to swap hard drives and have the same server up and running.

We did some tests and everything works when we swap hard drives between G4s, however when we try to swap hard drives from G3 to G4 installed Windows 2003 SP2 generates bluescreen and rebootes (I had no chance to note down any error message).

What I have already tried was installing a few drivers on G3 machine like:
- smart array cp 007955 (v. 5.78)
- smart ext cp 007958 (v. 6.4.0.32)
as I though it might be problem with new controller.

Could you advise any action that should be done? Something I should install when running on G3?

Regards
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,
HP Smart Array controllers support drive roaming, which allows administrators to move hard drives and arrays while maintaining data availability. Drive roaming allows administrators to move one or more hard drives that are members of a configured logical drive to a different bay position as long as the new bay position is accessible by the same controller. In addition, it allows administrators to move a complete array from one controller to another, even if controllers are in different servers. This is When BOTH the controllers on different servers are of the same TYPE & the configuration are set to be identical.

I am not aware of any software that will enable this explicitly of different controllers/settings.

Regards.
Ireneusz Wasiak

Re: Happy Dudde

- thank for your reply :) fortunatelly we have no problems when moving hard drives between the same models (G3 <-> G3, G4 <-> G4). Everything even works fine when I use G4 hard drives in G3 servers...

Just wonder what difference between G3 & G4 affects Windows 2003 SP2 in such way (blue screen :) and what drivers should be installed on G3 then to prevent it :)

Regards
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

There are Many Differences in the DL380 G3 & G4 server. One & most important one is the Chipset.

G3 has ServerWorks GC -LE Chipset.
&
G4 has Intel E7520 Chipset.

As you may imagine.. the whole base level architecture is different >in turn the drivers are different.

Regards.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Ireneusz Wasiak

what is the controller in Dl380 G3 servers?
and the firmware version?

what is the controller in Dl380 G4servers?
and the firmware version?

very important to know
also where are you getting the Blue screens?
when windows is initialization, before login?

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

my recommendation update firmware and Proliant support pack(PSP) in G3 servers and G4 servers, before do this HDDs roaming

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I think this might be the information you are looking for.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=724645

Regards,

Brian
Ireneusz Wasiak

Hello

Happy Dude, Karlo & Brian_Murdoch - thank you guys for your help.

Before I have started this thread I have tried to find solution here, but I could not... I don't know, Brian, how did you find that thread ("Disk move from 5i to 6i"), but that was exactly I was looking for.

Solution was briliant!

Everythink is working fine now, thx & cu later :)
Ireneusz Wasiak

thx