cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Processors on DL580 G2

Bill Evans_3
Occasional Visitor

Multi Processors on DL580 G2

I have a DL580G2 with 4 Xeon1.6 Ghz CPU's. The system is running W2K Advanced Server (SP3). I am having an issue with the processors not being utilized evenly. Task manager typically shows one of the 4 doing all the work. I've set the ProcessorAffinityMask to the appropriate setting as indicated by M$ website. I also double checked the device manager and the System is being recognized as an ACPI Multiprocessor System. My installation was straight forward from the SmartStart CD pack, and I ran into no issues during setup. I'm relatively new to multi-processor servers, so I'm hoping that there's something that I've overlooked. Does anyone out there have any ideas????
5 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi Processors on DL580 G2

I know that the information I have read in the past is that this is quite software dependant. I think I read this at Intels Support site. The OS may support this, but actual being able to use them comes from the individual applications.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Bill Evans_3
Occasional Visitor

I've read about that too. This server is an IIS5.0 Transaction server that does nothing but run customized dll's created in Visual Interdev. I've been assured that these dll's have been compiled properly to utilize multiprocessor servers. I'm sort of finding myself stuck here not sure where to look next.
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Make sure that you understand the Hyperthreading technology embedded in the DL580G2 (with the Intel Xeon MP). This will present one physical CPU to the OS as two logicals, therefor maybe not given you the correct numbers.
You can disable this feature in the RBSU (F9) but it should count for a 25-30% performance improvement.

Rgds,

Gert Luyten
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Bill - a very dumb question .. what workload are you running.. i.e. I assume you are work that can exploit multiple engines... (for a stupid example not a single task writtem by a very junior programmer... )

Also, is it always the SAME processor doing all the work??

Yours aye
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Bill Evans_3
Occasional Visitor

Just to post what I've found out...it was due to hyperthreading. Deal was that all of our COM+ components were compiled using Visual Studio 6.0, which doesn't take into account for hyperthreading. The end result was one CPU, the same one all the time, was maxed out, and all the others idle. Immediately after disabling HT, all 4 Procs started to evenly distribute the workload. I appreciate all the responses.