7233 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple Logical Drive Creation with single R5 array

SOLVED
Go to solution
adagetech

Multiple Logical Drive Creation with single R5 array

I like to know if there is an easier method to create multiple logical volumes on a single RAID5 array. I am currently running on with P410i controller with (4) 300GB SAS drives configured to a single RAID5 array, but I would like to create 2 logical volumes instead of one large disk. I find this rather difficult since this has to be done in the software ACU. The system post RAID configurator is rather limited and there is no option for granular RAID creation.

This is what I've done so far:
Install WS2008 on the single volume RAID array. Install PSP 8.40 to get access to the ACU. From here, it looks like the only way to create new logical volumes is to delete the existing single logical volume first since it took all the available space; however, doing this will commit changes right away and triggers a blue screen and you loose access to the ACU obviously and you're back at square one.

In the past, I was successfully in doing this with the P400i controller with PSP 8.15 because the ACU does not commit the changes after deleting the initial single logical volume and only commits the change after you created the logical volumes. Of course, once it saves the new changes, you still get the blue screen, but that's OK since the logical volumes are now created on a single RAID5 array.
9 REPLIES 9
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you have Windows 2008, you could use storage manager directly from windows and shrink the Windows logical drive to C and other ( left capacity )

mikap
adagetech

Hi Mike,

I think "partition space" and "free array space" is two different things. I tried your suggestion anyway on using WS2008 disk management to shrink the partition. This reduced the primary partition size and left the remaining as unallocated space, but ACU can't convert the unallocated partition into a logical volume because it is still part of the initial logical volume. What I need is a way to create a RAID5 array that does not take all the volume space that is available so that I can add an additional logical volume from the remaining space in the array. HP documents mentions "Creating multiple logical drives per array" for all their RAID controllers, but I have yet find any proper procedures in doing this and HP tech support are just as stumped.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

ok but if you create raid 5, it will create just one logical drive presented for the system.

if you have 4 disk there is only 1 another option if you like to have protected raid,
make 2 RAID 1 logical disks.

mikap
adagetech

Mike,

My goal is to create a single RAID5 array with 2 logical volumes, thus both volumes are protected on the same RAID5 array. The other reason is because our backup software does not work on the partition level, but on the level volume.

Anyway, it took a lot of try & error, but I figured out on how to due this with the new ACU and P510i controller. The process is also excruciating long due to the "transformation" process the array performs.

1. Install WS2008 on a single RAID0 drive.
2. Install PSP 8.40 and reboot.
3. Go into ACU, create a new 2nd logical volume with the size you want. The array should be performing the "transformation" process on the original single RAID0 volume and the 2nd logical volume is queued up. Come back in a few hours.
4. Once transformation is done on both volumes, use the Migrate Array option under Configuration and change first RAID0 volume to RAID5. Let the array perform the "transformation" process again and come back later.
5. Now that you have 2 RAID5 logical volumes in 1 array, you may extend the size on either logical volume to fill up the remaining unused space. The array performs another long "transformation" process on both logical volumes. Once this process is complete, viola.
adagetech

Mike,

I forgot to add that creating 2 sets of RAID1 array with 4 drives is an option, which will also give you 2 arrays. I wanted to stay away from that because that will require 2 redundant drives instead of 1; and that both mirror arrays will be fixed at 300GB. In the method that I've used, I have 2 logical volumes protected on a single RAID5 array. It also gives me the flexibility to choose how much space you want on each volume, in my case I had a 338GB and a 500GB.

Spelling correction on my last reply: P510i should been P410i.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

The only tool to create multible LUN's on an Array, is to use the ACU.

Create the LUN(s) prior to OS installation.

During post, hit Esc, when promptet, this will stop the auto RAID creation.

Boot on the Smart Start CD.
Select the maintenance tab (I'm not 100% sure its the maintenance, but if it's not, just find the correct tab)

Open the ACU Create an Array
Create the LUN(s), select the size you want.

The LUN(s) are ready for installation instantly.

In all, the aboave take 2 or 3 minutes.

Move on to OS installation.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Pierrot Robert
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
adagetech

Thanks gregersenj and points assigned. I didn't realize that discs provided with the server can allow this administration.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

:)

There's some greate tools there.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo