ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Part numbers for Battery Backed Write Cache Modules ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Duncan
Occasional Contributor

Multiple Part numbers for Battery Backed Write Cache Modules ?

I am replacing a lot of battery backed write cache (BBWC) modules at the moment as it seems to be the only way to resolve persistently failing BBWC batteries.

I'm a bit confused about what seems to be multiple part numbers for the same part. For instance I have two apparently identical parts in front of me. Both labelled as 355999-001, then on separate labels one is labelled SP# 351518-001 and the other SP#413486-001.

To make sure I'm getting the right part should I be using the part number of the SP#?

This has caused me confusion because when trying to look up the part I need (without having done one before and being unable to open the box up to find out) I've been finding references to various different part numbers, but then when they arrive I see the parts seem identical.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to enlighten me.
2 REPLIES
PZel
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Multiple Part numbers for Battery Backed Write Cache Modules ?

The old SPN was 351518-001. That one has the problem that sometimes when you replace the battery (307132-001) after 2 days that battery again is FAILED. The new SPN has SPN 413486-001. When you order that SPN you get that 128MBCache (DIMM) + battery.
This 413486-001 SPN doesn't get that FAILED problems.

This same combination is used in the DL380G4 and on the E200i controller.(some ML350G5 servers)
PZ
J Duncan
Occasional Contributor

Re: Multiple Part numbers for Battery Backed Write Cache Modules ?

PZel,

Your answer is very very helpful. I hope I have assigned you maximum points.

I now know not only which part number to order, but also I know why I'm having to replace so many batteries and that my (guessed) action of replacing the BBWC boards is actually a valid step to be taking.

In searching for info about my battery problems I didn't find any official info along these lines. I think I shall be searching again! :-)

Thanks again!